Decent Compact

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
richardjackie

Decent Compact

Post by richardjackie »

Hi there

We need a new compact camera, I was thinking of Panasonic Lumix DMC ZS50 or the older Sony RX10, they are about £250.
I am interested in your views, our view would ideally be the same as the loveliest images you put up.
I don't use the zoom, but like to get in nice and cosy close. So I suppose it is the macro programme, and close up focus that matters.
We have a bridge camera, but it is a bit of a lump at the end of the day.
If you have any possibly better ideas, I would appreciate it.

thanks

Richard
MikeOxon

Re: Decent Compact

Post by MikeOxon »

I recommend you look at both the Lumix and Canon ranges, both of which I have used and obtained good images.

I'm surprised you refer to the Lumix ZS50, since this is the USA name - in UK, the same camera is called the TZ70. I have the earlier TZ25, which has the same sensor as the FZ200 bridge camera (much favoured by butterfly photographers) but is much more portable. The TZ70 adds the very considerable benefit of a built in electronic viewfinder, which overcomes my biggest problem with most compacts, which is that viewing on the back screen is very difficult in bright sunlight (i.e. good butterfly weather).

The Leica-branded lenses on the more expensive models in the TZ range (including the TZ70) are excellent performers. Canon lenses also deliver excellent results. Others can speak for other brands but those are my favourites. Pay a good price for a quality model.

Mike
richardjackie

Post by richardjackie »

Thank you Mike

I will have a look at the Lumix one, I have got to get it within the next couple of days.

richard
lee3764

Post by lee3764 »

Hi Mike,

Please advise on which TZ70 you are recommending....12.1MP or 18.1MP thanks.
I am considering purchasing one of these cameras too based on your recommendation.
All the best,

Lee Slaughter (Cornwall).
lee3764

Post by lee3764 »

MikeOxon wrote:I recommend you look at both the Lumix and Canon ranges, both of which I have used and obtained good images.

I'm surprised you refer to the Lumix ZS50, since this is the USA name - in UK, the same camera is called the TZ70. I have the earlier TZ25, which has the same sensor as the FZ200 bridge camera (much favoured by butterfly photographers) but is much more portable. The TZ70 adds the very considerable benefit of a built in electronic viewfinder, which overcomes my biggest problem with most compacts, which is that viewing on the back screen is very difficult in bright sunlight (i.e. good butterfly weather).

The Leica-branded lenses on the more expensive models in the TZ range (including the TZ70) are excellent performers. Canon lenses also deliver excellent results. Others can speak for other brands but those are my favourites. Pay a good price for a quality model.

Mike
Hi Mike,

Please advise on which TZ70 you are recommending....12.1MP or 18.1MP thanks.
I am considering purchasing one of these cameras too based on your recommendation.
All the best,

Lee Slaughter (Cornwall).
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Hi Lee. The ads I've seen for the TZ70 all refer to a 12.1MP sensor. I'm surprised if there's a different version with the same model number. As I mentioned before, I have the earlier TZ25 with 12MP sensor, the same as in the FZ200 bridge camera (which I also have). The TZ70 adds an electronic viewfinder to the TZ25 spec., which should be a valuable feature, while retaining small. compact size.
lee3764

Post by lee3764 »

MikeOxon wrote:Hi Lee. The ads I've seen for the TZ70 all refer to a 12.1MP sensor. I'm surprised if there's a different version with the same model number. As I mentioned before, I have the earlier TZ25 with 12MP sensor, the same as in the FZ200 bridge camera (which I also have). The TZ70 adds an electronic viewfinder to the TZ25 spec., which should be a valuable feature, while retaining small. compact size.
Thank you very much indeed for your advices Mike!
Cheers,

Lee Slaughter. :-)

Return to “Photography”