Sigma 150-600 contemporary lens

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
Ian Pratt

Sigma 150-600 contemporary lens

Post by Ian Pratt »

Hi,
I bought this lens recently for wildlife photography in general and birds in particular. I have a Canon 7D Mk1 and I am disappointed with the sharpness of the photos even when on a tripod or similar. Any comments would be appreciated. :( :(
Catteraxe

Re: Sigma 150-600 contemporary lens

Post by Catteraxe »

Hi Ian,

I have the Sigma 150-500, which basically is the predecessor to your lense, used with a 7D Mk II. I have achieved excellent results with this setup even hand-held. Indeed I have sold images via Adobe Stock using this setup so it’s surprising to hear of your disappointment.

Kevin.
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

I don't know this particular lens but there are a few things to bear in mind with all extra-long telephoto lenses:

Atmospheric conditions can seriously affect sharpness, especially heat-haze. I have taken photos of a church tower, about 2 miles away across Otmoor - in cool weather, the clock was pin sharp whereas, in hot weather, it was hard to tell there was a clock on the tower!

A low quality filter can ruin telephoto sharpness. If you use a filter for protection of the front element, make sure it is a top-quality one (expensive!)

The slightest vibration can ruin sharpness. Use a high shutter speed, even when on a tripod.

If the lens/camera has electronic stabilisation (IS), turn it off at high shutter speeds and when on a tripod. IS can actually introduce blur under these conditions.

Focus is critical. Examine the viewfinder image carefully and check the result when using manual focus. AF on Canon bodies may not be sufficiently accurate and you may need to apply some 'micro-adjustment' - see camera manual.

Finally, from my own experience, quality control on Sigma lenses may not be as good as 'marque' lenses. If all else fails, you may have a poor sample and should seek a replacement.

Mike
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

I know several birding photographers that use this lens and the general quality is excellent.

Return to “Photography”