Large Heath - Favourite Photo of 2014

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Large Heath - Favourite Photo of 2014

Post by Wurzel »

Week 9

Another week comes and goes soon be Christmas! Here continues the sequence of posts giving one and all the opportunity to showcase their favourite shots of 2014 (or the last time you saw one)!

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As like last year details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
celery

Re: Large Heath - Favourite Photo of 2014

Post by celery »

...no takers? Well here's one then. I always find this species to be particularly skittish... lots of photos where the critter is disappearing out of frame. Quite a dull day, and this one was in deep shade - not a good recipe for my FZ200, so focus not as crisp as I'd've liked.
Large Heath (coenonympha tullia) - Crowle Moor, Lincs. - 29th June, 2014
Large Heath (coenonympha tullia) - Crowle Moor, Lincs. - 29th June, 2014
Six day weekends, one day pauses.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16155010@N04/
David M

Post by David M »

I'm not a devotee of peat bogs - flies, stench, hazardous footing, etc....however, I am very interested in the Large Heath, probably because so few people ever get out to record this species.

I made ONE visit in 2014 to the southernmost UK site for tullia, i.e. Cors Caron reserve near Tregaron in mid-Wales.

On this day conditions were as good as you could ideally expect. Blue skies, light winds and 23c.

Large Heaths weren't about in stratospheric numbers, but nor were they particularly difficult to find either.

In all, I saw a couple of dozen of the polydama form during the hour and a half I was there.

Here's a male I encountered within 5 minutes of entering the reserve:
1LH(1).jpg
I tried to hunt down the more attractive females but grass blades kept getting in the way:
1LHfem2(1).jpg
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

My only time with Large Heaths in 2014 was during a brief visit to Meathop Moss just before heading back to the midlands after stopping at Arnside for a few days in mid June. The truth is that I hadn't really aimed to see this species whilst up there and it was only on the off chance that they would be out that I decided to have a quick look at Meathop Moss.
During no more than an hour here I saw a fair few flying, mostly out on the moss where I wasn't going to try and follow, but a couple did come close enough to get a few shots, mostly with loads of grass in the way as is often the case with this species.
The photo below is my best effort from this all too short session.
Large Heath - Meathop Moss 14.06.2014
Large Heath - Meathop Moss 14.06.2014
Cheers,

Neil.
David M

Post by David M »

That's a really nicely marked individual, Neil.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Love the photo Neil, I'll have to go to Meathop next year I've not taken a photo of this Butterfly yet Goldie :D
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks David and Goldie :D I think they had only been out a few days when I saw them so most were still in good condition.

Cheers,

Neil.
David M

Post by David M »

There's even a hint of lanceloata which makes it even more interesting!

Return to “Large Heath”