Large Heath - Favourite Photo of 2013

Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Large Heath - Favourite Photo of 2013

Post by Vince Massimo »

Week 9.

Here is the opportunity to post your favourite photo(s) of a particular species taken in 2013 (or the last time you saw one!).

This is part of a series of topics which will grow over 20 weeks throughout the winter, eventually covering all 59 species which are regularly found in the British Isles. The intention is to showcase three species per week (in alphabetical order), so please wait until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos. Our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants.

Details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome and please feel free to contribute observations of behaviour, stories of personal encounters, anecdotes or other interesting points.

Vince
MikeOxon

Re: Large Heath - Favourite Photo of 2013

Post by MikeOxon »

I had no digital photos of Large Heath so decided to make a special effort this year. First stop was Whixall Moss, where I managed to take many good photos but the favourite has to be this rather rare view of a topside. Unfortunately, this couple never consummated, and they just flew their separate ways after a few minutes. Their display gave me an unforgettable experience.
Whixall Moss - 10th July 2013<br />Nikon D300s with 300f4 + 1.4X TC, 1/750s@f/5.6 ISO400
Whixall Moss - 10th July 2013
Nikon D300s with 300f4 + 1.4X TC, 1/750s@f/5.6 ISO400
A couple of days later, I was at Cors Caron (Tregaron Bog) and was, once again, rewarded with excellent views, although not until after a long period of searching. They're supposed to be the polydama form at this site, though this one seems indistinguishable from davos to me!
Cors Caron NNR - 12th July 2013<br />Nikon D300s with 70 - 300VR, 1/350s@f/8 ISO400
Cors Caron NNR - 12th July 2013
Nikon D300s with 70 - 300VR, 1/350s@f/8 ISO400
Mike
David M

Re: Large Heath - Favourite Photo of 2013

Post by David M »

Nice shot of the courting pair, Mike, and you're right, the Welsh Large Heath appears to better resemble a davus than a polydarma.

I was at Cors Caron myself a few days prior to your visit, and despite seeing good numbers, I struggled to get any worthwhile shots. This one is probably the best, and it is quite different in appearance from the one you posted:
1LH3(1).jpg

Return to “Large Heath”