Large Heath - Favourite Photo of 2012

Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Large Heath - Favourite Photo of 2012

Post by Vince Massimo »

Here is the opportunity to post your favourite photo(s) of a particular species taken in 2012 (or the last time you saw one!).

This is part of a series of topics which will grow over 20 weeks throughout the winter until all 59 UK species have been covered. The intention is to showcase three species per week (in alphabetical order), so please wait until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos. Our overseas friends are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants.

Details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome and please feel free to contribute observations of behaviour, stories of personal encounters, anecdotes or other interesting points.

Vince
badgerbob

Re: Large Heath - Favourite Photo of 2012

Post by badgerbob »

Meathop Moss is the only location that I have seen this amazing species, there were lots there but very hard to approach. The best specimen of the day however did settle several times. Later the same day we called back to see them roosting. They were still flying when, at just after 9.20pm the other shot was taken!! Possibly the latest I have photographed a butterfly. These were taken last year on 3rd July on a pretty warm day.
Attachments
DSC_0536 (800x531).jpg
DSC_0512 (800x532).jpg
David M

Post by David M »

That bottom one's a stunner, Bob.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Large Heath is one of the few species I didn't get to see this year. It's 2010 since I photographed them at Whixall Moss, so here's one from June of that year.
Neil
UKB Large Heath, Whixall Moss, June 2010.jpg
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

I went with my son, Chris, to Whixall Moss this year to see Large Heath as I had never seen them before.

Although we saw a good number, we found most stayed out of reach of photos and we were not going to try and follow them into the moss, especially after all the rain that had fallen over the previous few days. The paths were soft and squelchy enough without risking straying off them.

We were eventually lucky when one individual flew onto a side path in front of us and for about 10 minutes moved along the path in short flights stopping just long enough for us to get some good shots, the two below probably being my favourites.
Large Heath - Whixall Moss 04.07.2012
Cheers,

Neil F.
David M

Post by David M »

Aah, happy memories, Neil.

Beautiful shots.

I must make an effort to go there next year to see if I can find any similarly marked.
nomad

Post by nomad »

On two visits to Meathrop Moss at the end of June, it rained the first day and although the sun came out on the second, it was blowing a gale and the butterflies could hardly fly, yet alone feed. The Large Heaths were mostly keeping their heads down. On a visit to Wester Ross and Sutherland the following week, now early July , most wet moors had Large Heaths but again it was difficult to get decent photographs. Most landed in herbage and I had to keep up with my two botanist friends who were marching towards the cliffs of the mountains at a fast rate in search of alpines. In my opinion, this is one of the most difficult species to photograph, the butterflies are startled at your approach, as if they can feel the vibrations of your movement. Yes Bob's bottom photograph is stunning.
Peter.
Subspecies davus at Meathrop Moss, Cumbria,  resting on  Bog Asphodel
Subspecies davus at Meathrop Moss, Cumbria, resting on Bog Asphodel
Large Heath well camouflaged in Wester Ross.
Large Heath well camouflaged in Wester Ross.
ssp scotica on moors below the Fannich Mountains, Wester Ross.
ssp scotica on moors below the Fannich Mountains, Wester Ross.
811.JPG (100.89 KiB) Viewed 1935 times
Large Heath, Wester Ross, hiding in grass.
Large Heath, Wester Ross, hiding in grass.

Return to “Large Heath”