Large Blue - Favourite Photo of 2011

Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Large Blue - Favourite Photo of 2011

Post by Vince Massimo »

This is a thread in which to post your favourite photo(s) of a particular species taken in 2011.................or the last time you saw one!

This is part of a series which will hopefully grow throughout the winter until all 58 British species have been covered. Three new threads will be introduced per week. Our overseas friends are welcome to fill in the gaps relating to our rare migrants, but please try to observe the alphabetical listing :) .

Details of places, dates, times and circumstances would be appreciated and please feel free to contribute observations of behaviour, personal encounters, anecdotes and other interesting points.

Cheers,
Vince
Reverdin

Re: Large Blue - Favourite Photo of 2011

Post by Reverdin »

Memorable Large Blue year for me, with an overnight friday evening trip over the Dales via Hawes from home then a long M6/M5 trawl to Collard Hill, arriving 5am on 4th June to a sunrise over Glastonbury Tor... Brilliant... then 2 hours nap and onto the slopes.... Sussex Kipper was already there, and aquaintances made, he, my son and I soon found sleeping imagos...
IMG_8314 as Smart Object-1.jpg
Later as the slopes warmed under a lukewarm sun few deigned to bask open winged, these being a couple...
IMG_8375 as Smart Object-1.jpg
IMG_8396 as Smart Object-1.jpg
A very frosty call home to tell the boss I would be staying over at Roger & Rose's (also met on that wonderful hillside), met with icy and underwhelmed joy ( I discovered that day was my wedding anniversary.... yeeeesh :( :oops: :roll: ) - still suffering the fallout :(

Ah well, later in July in the high Alps of Switzerland I was very lucky to see a spanking fresh darker Alpine version of the Large Blue... upper and underside below... I reckon it was fresh out of the box!
IMG_0989 as Smart Object-1.jpg
IMG_1006 as Smart Object-1.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

I was lucky enough to see quite a few Large Blues this summer in the Massif Central region of France.

Like our British ones, they weren't too keen on offering up an open wing pose, but after 4 days I managed to find one beautiful female who was prepared to show off her stunning, heavily-marked uppersides:

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

26th June was a very hot day on Collard Hill. After pounding up and down the slopes for some time, I was pleased to find this mating pair in the quarry area, quite near the entrance to the reserve.
Collard Hill - 26th June 2011<br />Nikon D300s with 70-300VR - 1/500s@f/11 ISO400
Collard Hill - 26th June 2011
Nikon D300s with 70-300VR - 1/500s@f/11 ISO400
An unexpected bonus was also to be shown a Wasp Orchid by the warden (Ophrys apifera var. Trollii), which contributed to a very memorable day.
Collard Hill - 26th June 2011<br />Nikon D300s with Tamron 90mm - 1/250s@f/16 ISO400
Collard Hill - 26th June 2011
Nikon D300s with Tamron 90mm - 1/250s@f/16 ISO400
Mike
Vince Massimo

Post by Vince Massimo »

Collard Hill is a 280 mile round trip for me so I only get there occasionally. My last visit was on 24th June 2010 and they were already on the wing when I arrived on site at 08.45. My one and only open-wing shot was achieved at 09.00 and the rest of the morning was spent traversing the slopes, praying for cloud, and waiting for one to settle. On this particular year they had spread to a large part of the reserve and I did not need to go to the eastern slope at all.
Female Large Blue - Collard Hill, Somerset 24-June-10
Female Large Blue - Collard Hill, Somerset 24-June-10
This particular female had only just emerged and been mated.

Vince

Return to “Large Blue”