Holly Blue - Favourite photo of 2011

Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Holly Blue - Favourite photo of 2011

Post by Vince Massimo »

This is a thread in which to post your favourite photo(s) of a particular species taken in 2011.................or the last time you saw one!

This is part of a series which will hopefully grow throughout the winter until all 58 British species have been covered. Three new threads will be introduced per week. Our overseas friends are welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to our rare migrants, but please try to observe the alphabetical listing :) .

Details of places, dates, times and circumstances would be appreciated and please feel free to contribute observations of behaviour, personal encounters, anecdotes and other interesting points.

Cheers,
Vince
millerd

Re: Holly Blue - Favourite photo of 2011

Post by millerd »

I don't have to go more than a few yards from home to find these lovely little butterflies, and at the start of this year's glorious Spring weather, they were very common and unusually accommodating with respect to being photographed. Both of these individuals were sitting low down in bright sunshine, and responded beautifully to the technique of shading them to provoke them to open their wings. No more than to 90 degrees mind...

Dave
Attachments
female (21st April)
female (21st April)
male (10th April)
male (10th April)
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

this one in the garden caught my eye as she seemed to be emulating egg laying on serveral flower heads of this buddliea.
hb.jpg
hb1.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

The Holly Blue is one of the most intriguing butterflies in Britain in my opinion. Although common, it is one of those species that you can never really set out to see - they either turn up or they don't.

I invested quite a lot of patience in them this year in the hope that at some point I might get an open wing shot, and finally that patience paid off as a female decided to bask on bramble leaves at a location less than 2 miles from my house:

The undersides are beautiful as well - this male was (I think) fresh from the chrysalis as he was both docile and visually unblemished back in July:

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

This is my favourite shot of Holly Blue because it was the first that I managed to get of the open wings. It was taken at Martin Down back in May and after I got this shot I enjoyed a picnic with my older daughter surrounded by skippers and in balmy sunny weather although I'll probably remember the picnic more than the butterflies...
077.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
marmari

Post by marmari »

This is my favourite pic as it was in my back garden at Freshwater,IOW on the 30th April.She was so occupied in her task that she took no notice of me at all.
Last edited by marmari on Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reddog

Post by Reddog »

Here are some photos of Holly Blues I took last year in the grounds of the Anglican cathedral in Liverpool.
Attachments
Female Holly Blue.JPG
Male Holly Blue.JPG
Two Holly Blues.JPG
David M

Post by David M »

Reddog wrote:Here are some photos of Holly Blues I took last year in the grounds of the Anglican cathedral in Liverpool.
They do seem to like places of worship. Perhaps 'Churchyard Blue' would be more apt (given that Holly is only their foodplant in the early part of the year).
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

David M wrote:
Reddog wrote:Here are some photos of Holly Blues I took last year in the grounds of the Anglican cathedral in Liverpool.
They do seem to like places of worship. Perhaps 'Churchyard Blue' would be more apt (given that Holly is only their foodplant in the early part of the year).
Good one, David, a very apt alternative name.

I can see a new winter pastime developing! :D

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
David M

Post by David M »

Lee Hurrell wrote: I can see a new winter pastime developing! :D
Yes, we can already add Jack's 'Bog Brown' (aka Large Heath) and I'm sure I've seen Marbled White referred to as 'The Chessboard' on here as well.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I took this photo in my Daughters garden in Kent, it reminds me of the good summer we had with her. It was taken in August of this year. Goldie M :)
Attachments
Holly Blue KH 14th August 2011 109.JPG
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

I thought this Holly Blue was looking very regal as it posed on Heuchera leaves in the garden.
Abingdon, Oxon - 19th March 2011<br />Nikon D300s with Tamron 90mm - 1/350s@f/9.5 ISO400
Abingdon, Oxon - 19th March 2011
Nikon D300s with Tamron 90mm - 1/350s@f/9.5 ISO400
Mike

Return to “Holly Blue”