High Brown Fritillary - Favourite Photo of 2017

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 8 - So we continue looking back and reminiscing - just a heads up - after some badgering at the Social last night next week there might be an additional Favourite to post about :wink:

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As like last year details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Re: High Brown Fritillary - Favourite Photo of 2017

Post by David M »

One of the pitfalls of spending time in France in peak season is that I struggle to keep up with HBF goings-on from the last Welsh site where they are resident.

I DID manage a couple of visits in 2017, however hot, sunny conditions meant the butterflies were decidedly non-co-operative. Here are a couple from late June prior to me decamping to the Alps:
1HBFfem(1).jpg
1HBF1(1).jpg
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I was late this year in finding the High Brown, we didn't go to Arnside Knot until the 5th of August when I hoped to see the Scotch Argus, I was taken by surprise when in the field there these rather shiny Butterflies put in an appearance :D The weather had been awful and we'd taken a chance hoping the afternoon would be okay and by mid day it was I was so pleased , butterflies were ever where some rather worse for wear even though the HB were shiny with the rain we'd had they were still intact :D Goldie :D
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_7eaa.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_7eae.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_7eb1.jpeg
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

My High Brown Fritillary photo was taken in mid July in the south of France.
This was the height of the season and I spent more time taking notes of species than actually photographing them.
adippe11_83 Vallon du Cros 06Jul17 (2a).JPG
Chris
Art Frames

Post by Art Frames »

Another non UK siting. These shots were from a trip to Hungary in June. These were all shot in the Aggtelek National Park, at the southern edge of the Carpathians. On any sunlit puddle or pile of dung there was usually a High Brown :shock: . The single butterfly is of form Cleodoxa (missing the silver) the main dung party is a mix of HBFs (inc another Cleodoxa) SWFs and a Comma

I have some video as well if anyone would like to see that. I've just watched it and I immediately want to go back. :(

High Brown Fritillary - dung party

High Brown Fritillary - Fabriciana adippe (form Cleodoxa)
Peter - Art Frames
A few photos on Flickr
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

I saw High Brown Fritillaries on two occasions in 2017, the first being down in the Heddon Valley in late June.
High Brown Fritillary male - Heddon Valley 26.06.2017
High Brown Fritillary male - Heddon Valley 26.06.2017
High Brown Fritillary - Heddon Valley 26.06.2017
High Brown Fritillary - Heddon Valley 26.06.2017
High Brown Fritillary female - Heddon Valley 26.06.2017
High Brown Fritillary female - Heddon Valley 26.06.2017
Just over a month later I was up at Arnside Knott where there were still some flying, maybe half a dozen different individuals albeit looking worn and faded by then. I think the first example below is the same individual that was photographed and posted by Goldie.
High Brown Fritillary male - Arnside Knott 31.07.2017
Underside of the one above.
Underside of the one above.
and another male in slightly better condition,
Cheers,

Neil

Return to “High Brown Fritillary”