High Brown Fritillary - Favourite Photo of 2014

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

High Brown Fritillary - Favourite Photo of 2014

Post by Wurzel »

Week 8

Another week comes and goes soon be Christmas! Here continues the sequence of posts giving one and all the opportunity to showcase their favourite shots of 2014 (or the last time you saw one)!

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As like last year details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Re: High Brown Fritillary - Favourite Photo of 2014

Post by millerd »

My annual pilgrimage to Arnside on a roundabout route to York was nearly thwarted by dreadful traffic this year (26th July). Perseverance prevailed, and amongst the other goodies the site has to offer, I managed to see a single female High Brown nectaring in one of the meadows to the south side of the Knott.
HBF3 260714.JPG
Dave
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

I caught up with this species, for the first time in many years, at the Alun Valley site in South Wales. Although I made some positive identifications (amongst the more numerous Dark Greens), I didn't manage to get any photos. One posed for my son at just the moment that I was engaged in photographing a mating pair of SPB Fritillaries!

I previously posted my all-time favourite photo of this species at viewtopic.php?f=63&t=5882&sid=10e33b42a ... 0cb#p53879

Mike
David M

Post by David M »

I'm very fortunate in that I have a mere half hour's drive to get to see this highly endangered species. I never take them for granted though, and this year saw fewer numbers than 2013.

Consequently, I didn't get anything like as many images.
1HBFund1(1).jpg
The Annoying Czech

Post by The Annoying Czech »

This butterfly is OK to common here, spreading. Somehow more tame than aglaja, so I shoot a couple of photos every year without much struggle. This one is my favourite.
Attachments
perletovec prostredni, 18.6.2014, halenkov (lusova) (2).jpg

Return to “High Brown Fritillary”