High Brown Fritillary - Favourite Photo of 2011

Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

High Brown Fritillary - Favourite Photo of 2011

Post by Vince Massimo »

This is a thread in which to post your favourite photo(s) of a particular species taken in 2011...............or the last time you saw one!

This is part of a series which will hopefully grow throughout the winter until all 58 British species have been covered. Three new threads will be introduced per week. Our overseas friends are welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to our rare migrants, but please try to observe the alphabetical listing :) .

Details of places, dates, times and circumstances would be appreciated and please feel free to contribute observations of behaviour, personal encounters, anecdotes and other interesting points.

Cheers,
Vince
Reddog

Re: High Brown Fritillary - Favourite Photo of 2011

Post by Reddog »

Here are two photos of High Brown Fritillarys I took last year at Warton Crag, north Lancashire.
Attachments
High Brown Fritillary. (side)PG.JPG
High Brown Fritillary.JPG
dilettante

Post by dilettante »

Picking my favourite HBF photo of 2011 is easy, as I only have one. I was staying near Arnside Knott for a week, but rather late in the season, so made several trips looking for HBF without much success. I was convinced at the time that this was DGF, but Guy and others kindly corrected me

Arnside Knott, Cumbria. 4-Aug-2011. Sony A700, Tamron 180/3.5, 1/500s f/8.0, iso200
GOLDENORFE

Post by GOLDENORFE »

one from arnside knot june 28th, i visited quite a few times , shot quite a few, but still have difficulty id them from top view!

phil

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

I'm going to slip this one in under the "......or the last time you saw one!" tag, since it is one of my all time favourite photos!

It was a beautiful sunny day on Arnside Knott back in July 1996 (not been back since) and I was busily photographing several other HBFrits, when my son excitedly called to me. This pair was in the middle of a large grassy area near the summit, rather like a lawn. It seemed a curiously exposed location for such a vulnerable activity but was ideal for photography. I do hope that their descendants are still populating the Knott!
Arnside Knott - 21st July 1996<br />Pentax K1000 with 90mm Tamron - Fuji super HG 400
Arnside Knott - 21st July 1996
Pentax K1000 with 90mm Tamron - Fuji super HG 400
Mike

Return to “High Brown Fritillary”