Heath Fritillary - Favourite Photo of 2015

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 7

So continues sequence of posts giving one and all the opportunity to showcase their favourite shots of 2015!

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As like last year details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Re: Heath Fritillary - Favourite Photo of 2015

Post by David M »

Didn't see this rare UK species in 2015 on home soil, but as ever, I saw multi hundreds in the French Alps in June/July.

Sadly, in spite of this bounty 'on tap', I didn't take an image of a single one!

This is why I like this end of year round-up, because it reinforces where you have paid lip service (or no service at all) during the year.

So, note to self - at least make an attempt with athalia in 2016!!
millerd

Post by millerd »

I also failed to see this species this year. I'd like to see some West Country individuals one of these days as I've only seen Kentish and Essex examples thus far. Here's one from July 1st 2012, taken at East Blean Woods just after a lengthy downpour.
HF 010712.JPG
Dave
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Hi Folks,
For the taxonomy buffs, the Heath Fritillary in the South of France was Mellicta athalia celadussa, which then became Melitaea athalia celadussa which has now apparently become Melitaea helvetica :roll: .
Well, before they change names again, here is a set of photos from inland west Var this year:
Female:
helvetica12_83 female Roussargue 22Aug15 (14).JPG
Male:
helvetica10_83 male Roussargue 14Aug15 (223).JPG
Pair:
helvetica9_83 Vallon du Cros 08 Aug 2015 (2).JPG
Dark form :
helvetica5_83 male dark St Zacharie Source des Nayes 07 Jun 2015.JPG
Cheers, Chris
downland boy

Post by downland boy »

On a visit to East Blean with Badger Bob and after waiting for an hour for the sun to come out, all of a sudden we were surrounded by Heath Fritillary action.
Attachments
Heath Fritillary (mating) 15.6.15 East Blean Woods_ Kent. Downland boy.JPG
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

In my local woods on 6th July:

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

millerd wrote:...I'd like to see some West Country individuals one of these days as I've only seen Kentish and Essex examples thus far...
Dave
Its the other way around for me, I have never seen this species in Kent or Essex, my only experiences being in the West Country. I saw them a couple of years ago at Haddon Hill and Bin Coombe and again this year when we stopped off for a couple of hours at Greenscombe Wood on the way back from a week in Cornwall.
Heath Fritillary - Greenscombe Wood 06.06.2015
One individual stood out for me as having an almost Marsh Fritillary look about it,
Cheers,

Neil
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

A friend took me to East Blean Woods in June to see these little beauties. I now have 172 pictures to flick through and since every one reminds me of that wonderful day it's near impossible to choose a favourite so I'll just have to pic one or two at random!
a mating pair (obviously)
a mating pair (obviously)
Doing a passing immitation of a Marsh Frit.
Doing a passing immitation of a Marsh Frit.
Where there's one.......
Where there's one.......
The last one I saw before having to leave.
The last one I saw before having to leave.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Having visited the Kent sites several times in the past, I decided to find an Exmoor colony this year. I am very grateful for help from UKButs member William, who guided me to a good 'hot spot'.

Out of the very many photos that I took, it was hard to choose a single favourite but I eventually settled on this one, because it shows the features of both upper and lower wing surfaces:
Haddon Hill, Exmoor - 16th June 2015<br />Olympus E-M5 with 40-150mm lens - 1/400sf/8 ISO400
Haddon Hill, Exmoor - 16th June 2015
Olympus E-M5 with 40-150mm lens - 1/400sf/8 ISO400
Mike
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Heath Fritillary

Finally after many years of um-ing and ahh-ing this was the year. I finally made my way to East Blean for Heath Fritillaries. Due to the huge range of shots that I took throughout the day picking one favourite was ridiculously tricky. Through the course of the visit Philzoid and I saw males, females, in cop, open and closed wings, stained glass views, hanging in space, three quarter open and even two individuals being killed and dismembered by Wood Ants!
However this image was the one for me, not a ‘twofer’ but a ‘threefer’! Which is very appropriate as for me this species was definitely value for money.
Hea (382).JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Heath Fritillary”