Heath Fritillary - Favourite Photo of 2011

Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Heath Fritillary - Favourite Photo of 2011

Post by Vince Massimo »

I am now overseeing the "Favourite Photo of 2011" topic, at least for the time being. Apologies for the slight loss of continuity this week.

This is a thread in which to post your favourite photo(s), of a particular species, taken in 2011............................or the last time you saw one!

This is part of a series, which will hopefully grow throughout the winter until all 58 British species have been covered. Three new threads will be introduced per week. Our overseas friends are welcome to fill the obvious gaps relating to our rare migrants, but please try to observe the alphabetical listing :)

Details of places, dates, times and circumstances would be appreciated and please feel free to contribute observations of behaviour, personal encounters, anecdotes and other interesting points.

Cheers,
Vince
dilettante

Re: Heath Fritillary - Favourite Photo of 2011

Post by dilettante »

A hot week in May, my wife had gone on holiday with friends, the kids were at school, and I had the week off work. Perfect for a solo trip to Hockley Woods to catch the early-emerging Heath Fritillaries. A bit of a trek, but what a great day, sitting alone in a sunny clearing in the woods, surrounded by many HFs, the first time I'd seen them.

Hockley woods, Essex. 24-May-11. Sony A700, Tamron 180/3.5, 1/250s f/8.0, iso200
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That is a cracking photo! :mrgreen: I have yet to catch up with Heath Fritillary so I'll check this thread regularly as an incentive for next year!

Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

The last couple of years I've been to Hockley for these little gems, but this year I took advantage of a weekend in Dover to detour to East Blean on the return journey. It was late in the day and very windy, but the Heath Fritillaries were in the first flush of emergence, and within a few yards of the car park. Difficult to choose, but for interest, here is a male propositioning a newly-emerged female, and for the beauty of the underside, one lit by low golden sunlight. (22nd May)

Dave
Attachments
HF pair resized.jpg
HF3a resized 220511.jpg
Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

I have seen these for the first time in the UK - the south west, this year thanks to Roger H. I like this shot, one of the last I managed that day, 5/6/11...
Canon 7D 100mm macro f11 1_60s iso320
Canon 7D 100mm macro f11 1_60s iso320
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I took this this Photo in Blean Woods Kent, if you go in June you can't miss taking a picture, I was later this year than usual , the end of June, yet still managed to take this. Goldie M :)
Attachments
Heath Fritilary BW 28th June 2011 017.JPG
Vince Massimo

Post by Vince Massimo »

It's been a few years since I visited my nearest Heath Fritillary colony at East Blean Wood and there have been some changes. The old clearings I used to visit have become overgrown but a new one has been formed abutting the car park. It was teeming with these lovely little creatures.
Male Heath Fritillary - East Blean Wood, Kent 1-June-11
Male Heath Fritillary - East Blean Wood, Kent 1-June-11
On the day they were very approachable, particularly the ones that had just emerged, although the virgin females were immediatly surrounded by a swarm of males as soon as they appeared.

Vince

Return to “Heath Fritillary”