Grizzled Skipper - Favourite Photo of 2014

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Grizzled Skipper - Favourite Photo of 2014

Post by Wurzel »

Week 7

So continues sequence of posts giving one and all the opportunity to showcase their favourite shots of 2014 (or the last time you saw one)!

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As like last year details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Re: Grizzled Skipper - Favourite Photo of 2014

Post by David M »

I'm embarrassed to say I only saw ONE Grizzled Skipper in the UK in 2014. This was observed at Ewyas Harold Common, near Pontrilas on the Welsh/Herefordshire border on 6th May:
1Grizz2(1).jpg
I did see a small number of Southern Grizzled Skippers whilst in the French Alps in early July. This image also contains Safflower Skipper, Small Blue and Glandon Blue:
121Glandonandfriends(1).jpg
millerd

Post by millerd »

I managed to see this species at a few sites, but not as many as in previous years and not in any great numbers anywhere. However, I did manage what is perhaps my favourite Grizzled Skipper photo ever at Denbies on 14th May.
GS1 140514.JPG
Dave
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

I made a return visit to Linkey Down, Oxon, above the M40 cutting through the Chilterns, a few days after photographing the Green Hairstreak, shown earlier in this 'favourites' thread.

On this second visit, I almost despaired of seeing any butterflies at all until, late in the afternoon, I spotted this 'Grizzle' quietly roosting on a twig near the path. It had been a day of patchy cloud and the butterfly had its wings closed and antennae lowered when, suddenly, a burst of sunshine encouraged it to spread its wings for my photo. The scales positively glowed in the sunshine, showing a reddish iridescence.
Linkey Down, Oxon - 18th April 2014<br />Nikon D300s with Tamron 90mm macro lens - 1/350s@f/13 ISO800
Linkey Down, Oxon - 18th April 2014
Nikon D300s with Tamron 90mm macro lens - 1/350s@f/13 ISO800
Mike
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

I only saw Grizzled Skippers on a couple of occasions this year, half a dozen or so at Harbury Spoilbank and a couple at bishops Hill in Warwickshire. On both occasions it was a warm afternoon and the skippers were active and so I didn't manage any photos that I was particularly pleased with compared with previous years although I did manage a few at Harbury that are not too bad.
Grizzled Skipper - Harbury 24.04.2014
Cheers,

Neil
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Grizzled Skipper

Back at the start of May I surreptitiously did some butterflying. We were planning to visit my folks at Sixpenny Handley. I suggested that we could stop for a picnic at Martin Down on the way, you see where I was going with this suggestion...I found a nice spot off the where the turf is particularly soft and springy and we all set about to munching. A great little picnic spot (and one where I knew I could find Dingy and Grizzled Skippers).
While my wife read the paper and let her lunch go down I had a little stroll...and that’s when this little fella turned up. It’s my favourite shot as I like the different angle it’s at and also the way the light catches its eye and proboscis.
Grizzled Skipper.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Rosalyn

Post by Rosalyn »

A strange year. Phil and I had our first Grizzled Skipper on 19th April this year at Woodwalton Marsh, Cambs but no others were seen until 3rd May
GS0235.jpg
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

For me, 2014 was a good year for Grizzlies with numerous sightings at Butser Hill, Botany Bay and Hutchinson's Bank :D . This one from Botany Bay is my favourite although I like the 'arty one' taken at Butser too.
2014.05.17 IMG_1704 Grizzled Skipper, Botany Bay.jpg
Butser
Butser
Very impressed with your four species in one shot David :o :mrgreen: If that had been taken in the UK it might've been a record for the multispecies thread (a few photos each with three species I think)

Phil
David M

Post by David M »

Philzoid wrote: Very impressed with your four species in one shot David :o :mrgreen: If that had been taken in the UK it might've been a record for the multispecies thread (a few photos each with three species I think)

Phil
Such juxtapositions are common in France, Phil!

By the way, your first Grizzlie looks abnormally suffused with white on the upperwings. A lovely specimen.
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

David M wrote:By the way, your first Grizzlie looks abnormally suffused with white on the upperwings.
I'm not so sure about that David but he's certainly a 'tidy' individual unlike some of the hirsute examples I've seen.
David M wrote:Such juxtapositions are common in France, Phil!
If that's the case I need to change my holiday plans :shock:
David M

Post by David M »

Philzoid wrote:If that's the case I need to change my holiday plans :shock:
You wouldn't regret it, Phil. Takes you right out of your comfort zone. Butterflies like confetti and you just never know what jewels are flying amongst the huge numbers visible.

Return to “Grizzled Skipper”