Green Hairstreak - Favourite Photo of 2017

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 6 - Looks like Autumn has gone and it's starting to feel proper cold...so relive the warmth of the spring/summer while you select your Favourite photos. :D

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As like last year details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Green Hairstreak - Favourite Photo of 2017

Post by Padfield »

I'll kick off with a nice fresh individual photographed on 25th March in North Italy:

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
millerd

Post by millerd »

My favourite has to be the individual I spotted egg-laying in the main (north of the railway) part of Bedfont Lakes Country Park back on 18th May.
GH lay3 180517.JPG
GH lay2 180517.JPG
GH lay1 180517.JPG
GH egg2 180517.JPG
I had not observed this behaviour before, and as numbers here are very small it was a double bonus. As I mentioned at the time, I hadn't realised the eggs were so green! :)

Dave
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

This photo is little more than a 'place holder'; it is one of only two of this species that I took on a sunny day at Aston Rowant NNR in the lull between Spring and Summer species. The only butterfly species present in any abundance was the Small Heath and there were also several small green Cistus Forester (Adscita geryon) moths skimming low over the short grass on Beacon Hill.

The Green Hairstreak was a chance, and rather fleeting, encounter and was not staying around to pose for photographs. My snapshot does, however, reveal the iridescent colours that appear when the sun catches the wings at an appropriate angle:
Aston Rowant NNR - 13th June 2017<br />Olympus E-M5 with 40-150mm lens - 1/1000s@f/11 ISO 640 (-0.3EV)
Aston Rowant NNR - 13th June 2017
Olympus E-M5 with 40-150mm lens - 1/1000s@f/11 ISO 640 (-0.3EV)
Mike
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

My only meeting with the Green Hair Streak was at Gait Barrow on the 10th of May, it was a chance meeting, we went to the place where for the last few years we'd seen them and found nothing, we were on our way back from filming the Duke when we saw this
one on the ground ,a few people were also filming so we waited and waited but they weren't for moving so I'd to take a distance shot because we wanted to move on, ( I was still looking for PBF) and thought I'd see the HS again but may be not the PBF, as it turned out I didn't see the HS again and didn't find the PBF either :( So I'm glad I got this glimpse of the HS. :D Goldie :D
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_7721.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_7834.jpeg
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

This year in the south of France, my earliest Green Hairstreak sighting was March 3rd.
The 'hairstreak' is very faint.
rubi33 Parc des Bruyères 03Mar17 (5).JPG
Chris
IanGD

Post by IanGD »

I didn't see many Green Hairstreaks this year but I stumbled across this nice one whilst searching for Dukes at Totternhoe in the second week of May.
IMGB2094_edited-2.jpg
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I had a few good encounters with these this past season. I like these two, taken at the reliable Denbies colony, as they show how different they look under cloudy (matt) and sunny (sparkly) conditions :)
Green Hairstreak, Denbies Hillside #1.JPG
Green Hairstreak, Denbies Hillside #2.JPG
This third one made it here since it represents a new colony for me I discovered on the way back from a Duke hunting expedition. Hopefully equally as reliable as the Denbies, there were certainly good numbers around :)
Green Hairstreak, Pitstone Hill.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Very few Green Hairstreaks for me this season ,probably only around ten in all,took this shot at a small Duke site near Crundale ,(Kent) ,I,d just made a slight detour ,to see how the Lady Orchids were doing ,and this beauty caught my eye .
Regards Allan.W.
P1100426.JPG
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Green Hairstreak

This was taken during mid May at my Duke site. I spent a fair amount of time searching for the Duke with no success but instead there were Greenstreaks absolutely everywhere. So many in fact I think I might need to change the name of my site!

It was a fantastic Greenstreak day and I encountered them on a Cypress tree, Hawthorn, Gorse, some were low down in the grass, one was holding a territory and another was egg laying. There were one spots and two spots and inferopunctata and punctata but the crowning glory were the collective feeding on Bluebells at the top of the hill. This one was my favourite as not only was in amongst the group and the Bluebells but it was a stand-out individual; in some lights it appeared a golden brown and at other times it was a browny-olive colour so much so that perhaps it should also have been renamed as an Khaki Hairstreak!
DSC_0576 - Copy.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

The only Green Hairstreaks that I saw in 2017 were at Ryton Wood Meadows when I saw good numbers flitting about around the usual 'hotspot' on a visit in early May.
Green Hairstreak - Ryton 10.05.2017
Finding one on a bluebell is always a bonus :D
Cheers,

Neil.
David M

Post by David M »

Didn't see too many Green Hairstreaks locally this year mainly due to the weather.

This one was probably the most memorable, providing a nice contrast on the yellow gorse flowers at Welshmoor on the Gower on 1st May:
1GHa(1).jpg

Return to “Green Hairstreak”