Green Hairstreak - Favourite Photo of 2014

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Green Hairstreak - Favourite Photo of 2014

Post by Wurzel »

Week 6

So continues sequence of posts giving one and all the opportunity to showcase their favourite shots of 2014 (or the last time you saw one)!

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As like last year details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
MikeOxon

Re: Green Hairstreak - Favourite Photo of 2014

Post by MikeOxon »

I like this photo because it was an unexpected encounter.

I had gone to Linkey Down, above the M40 cutting through the Chilterns, because it is a favourite stopover for migrating Ring Ouzels. I had a few very distant views of these birds but then, suddenly, there was a beautiful Green Hairstreak in a shrub alongside the path.

I only had a long lens with me but the light was very good and the resulting photo far better than I had any right to expect:
Linkey Down, Oxon - 16th April 2014<br />Nikon D300s with 300/4 lens + 1.4X TC - 1/250s@f/13 ISO400
Linkey Down, Oxon - 16th April 2014
Nikon D300s with 300/4 lens + 1.4X TC - 1/250s@f/13 ISO400
Mike
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

The Green Hairstreak was one of the first signs this year of an early Spring down here in the South of France. This was my first sighting on the 17th of February this year, about 4 weeks earlier than the previous year.
Lets hope this winter is as short as the last. :D
rubi7_13 17 Feb 2014 (1).JPG
Chris
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Once again at Gaits Barrow on the 15th April I found the Green Hair streaks, I was pleased having seen them for the first time last year I'd convinced myself that would be it :D but there they were in the same area as last year and looking great,
needless to say I'll be back there next year for sure Goldie :D
Attachments
GHS GB 15th April 2014 IMG_4832.JPG
GHS GB 15th April 2014 IMG_4796.JPG
Green Hair Streak GB 15th April 2014 IMG_4833.JPG
David M

Post by David M »

I spent quite a lot of time with this species in 2014. Where I now live is right by Fairwood Common on the Gower, which is a spot where Green Hairstreaks can be found with ease.

A couple of miles away is Welshmoor, which is a particular hotspot for this species, and the part cloudy conditions on 27th April allowed me to get closer than normal and see a wonderful array of varieties, from 'spotless' to 'fully streaked':
GH10(1).jpg
5GH(2).jpg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Green Hairstreak

After a troublesome few years with Greenstreaks last year I got back on friendly terms with them finding them at several different sites. And this year that happy trend continued so it was going to be a tricky job choosing my favourite this year...right up until I found this Greenstreak in the first week of June. As it was taken during a morning stop-off at Larkhill and was a first for the site it simply had to be my fave.
Green Hairstreak.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

LOL! Seems like only yesterday when Green Hairstreaks were your personal nemesis, Wurzel.
millerd

Post by millerd »

For sheer numbers, Wurzel's recommended Marsh Fritillary site in Wiltshire could not be beaten for Green Hairstreaks. I have never seen so many in one place - they were an absolute joy to watch. I saw them in a few other spots as well, notably (in a brief sunny interval amidst the rain) at Ryton Wood in Warwickshire, and at Totternhoe in Bedfordshire. I struggle with choosing a favourite, so here's one from each of these sites!
Warwickshire 10th May
Warwickshire 10th May
Wiltshire 16th May
Wiltshire 16th May
Bedfordshire 18th May
Bedfordshire 18th May
Dave
PhilBJohnson

Post by PhilBJohnson »

Not only did I see my first Green Hairstreak this year but it was on a site approx. only 3 miles from where I live ! I had the pleasure of introducing my parents (who also live locally) to this butterfly as well. With the help of "Butterfly Conservation" I have big expectations and lots of enthusiasm for making some much better records of the Green Hairstreak next year now that "I have my foot in the door" :)
Here is my favourite picture. Not technically great but I love the contrast in colours which I think can work better than "green on green"
Green Hairstreak
Green Hairstreak
best wishes,
Philip
Kind Regards,
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

I saw Green Hairstreaks this year at a few places whilst out and about but the most that I saw at any one time were at Ryton Wood Meadows when I called in there one afternoon in early May. There were good numbers flitting about around the usual hawthorns and occasionally coming down lower where I managed to get a few photos, including the shots below;
Green Hairstreak - RWM 03.05.2014
Cheers,

Neil
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

I don't know if I imagine this but everyone else's Green Hairstreak pictures seem to show the insect with a rich lustrous depth of pea green, :mrgreen: yet all my own photos have a wishy-washy bluish-brown look about them :? . Thankfully this year I managed to get a photo which I think can rub-shoulders with other member's 'routine shots' ... and so for that reason this one from Butser is my favourite :D
2014.05.11 IMG_1492 Green Hairstreak, Rake Bottom, Butser Hill g tr 02 m.jpg
Phil
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

I know what you mean, Phil - I have loads of pics of the type you mention. It's a hazard with iridescent colours that fool camera metering systems. A bit of under-exposure often helps.

Mike
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

It's a hazard with iridescent colours that fool camera metering systems. A bit of under-exposure often helps.
Bracketing is a good option. One shot is bound to be exposed satisfactorily.

Jack
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

In a typical Isle of Mull habitat. 24th May.

Not sure of the plant. Dwarf Willow?

Jack
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

For me, 2014 will be remembered for the release, back into the wild, of a rescued egg. Stunning larvae!
Green Hairstreak - larva (4th instar) - Thatcham - 07-Jun-14 [REARED].jpg
Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com

Return to “Green Hairstreak”