My First Grayling!!!

CJB

My First Grayling!!!

Post by CJB »

Good morning UKB'ers,
I hope everyone had a good bank holiday weekend.
I ended up in Norfolk and in between the rain showers managed to go for a wander and saw my first grayling.
I cannot believe how amazing their camouflage is and there were a number of occasions when it was literally in front of my nose and I couldn't see it. You can see from the middle picture how tough they are to see. I have also included a picture of a brimstone which is also amazingly well camouflaged.
I was also hoping to see DGF's but was too late which was a shame, but there were Walls literally everywhere you went. I also saw Brown Argus, Common Blue, Small Copper, Meadow Brown, Red Admiral, Peacock, Small White, Large White, Small Heath, Small Tortoiseshell and Gatekeeper; so not a bad outing really.
Still hoping to see a BHS this weekend coming if they are still around.
Flutter on!
CJB
Attachments
Grayling.jpg
Spot the b'fly.jpg
Brimstone.jpg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: My First Grayling!!!

Post by Wurzel »

Congrats in your first CJB :D They are great butterflies aren't they - subtle, unusual habitat and satisfying once you can atually find them :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
CJB

Re: My First Grayling!!!

Post by CJB »

Thank you Wurzel!
It's been a good year for firsts! My tally of species on the mobile is at 40 now!
The hairstreaks are eluding me still, all bar the very fluky green a couple of years ago!
Enjoying your reports, as ever.
Flutter on!
CJB

Return to “Grayling”