Glanville Fritillary - Favourite Photo of 2016

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 6

Week six and we're close to a third of the way through the 'Favourite shots of 2016'! Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos - just to make it easier to organise and keep everything on track so that we can enjoy this throughout the winter months? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As like last year details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
MrSp0ck

Re: Glanville Fritillary - Favourite Photo of 2016

Post by MrSp0ck »

I had many good views of Glanvilles at Hutchinsons Bank this year, and so far the 105 seen on the transect have topped the UKBMS transect figures with Trois Vaux on Alderney coming in second with 104. The total is at 256 in all, so most records from only 2 sites. Our Glanvilles were flying for 7 weeks. The Glanvilles have now spread into 4 1km squares. Glanvilles were the 5th most numerous species on the site, after Marbled White [312], Ringlet [260]. Meadow Brown [248], Brimstone [144], Glanville Fritillary [105], Small Blue [90].
DSC01410s.JPG
First 2016 Glanville at HB 12th May
FirstWildPairing1.JPG
First Pairing this year at Hutchinsons Bank
Wittei.JPG
The Ab. [listed in Thomas & Lewington as Wittei IOW 1929] a week after Greenies pictures the day it hatched. There were 2 other abs, one of these is in the post below.
Last edited by MrSp0ck on Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
millerd

Post by millerd »

My favourite is also from Hutchinson's Bank, and also an ab. (Not the same individual as that posted by MrSp0ck.)
GF ab1 270516.JPG
There were several other normal ones flying as well on an unexpectedly sunny day at the end of May, along with a good variety of other species.

Dave
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

This year I was after a good underside pic. The opportunity presented itself on a rather gloomy day at Hutchinsons bank where after much searching we finally found a couple roosting in plain sight. You wouldn't think to look at it but that underside works surprisingly good camouflage!
Glanville Fritillary male, Hutchinsons Bank.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

I was surprised to find that I'd only taken one reasonable photo of a Glanville this year. There were plenty about down my way but just far too active so I must have concentrated on other species.
Glanville frit, April, South of France:
cinxia23 Vitrolles olive grove 20Apr16.JPG
Chris
David M

Post by David M »

There were hundreds of Glanvilles in the Pyrenees between 23 May and 1 June this year so I largely ignored them, except for this specimen which was spotted on a cloudy morning when not much was flying:
2Glanvilleunders(1).jpg
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

I found this pair touching:

That was on 8th May.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
IanGD

Post by IanGD »

I had never seen a Glanville Fritillary so a visit to friends on the Isle of Wight in early June presented an ideal opportunity. Fortunately the weather was quite good and I found good numbers of them at a couple of locations along the south coast.

I particularly like this photo because it's a nice specimen on Thrift in full bloom which seems to capture the spirit of the place.

Ian
Glanville Fritillary on Thrift - IoW.jpg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Glanville Fritillary

This was taken at Hutchinson’s Bank towards the end of their flight. It was a cracking day as after reconnecting with Glannies after several years apart Philzoid and I were able to take in Botany Bay with Wood Whites and Bee Hawks! This shot was my favourite of the many that I took as it was a shot that I always look out for – a butterfly perched on a Dandelion Clock. :D
DSC_0407 - Copy.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
celery

Post by celery »

Been away for a couple of weeks... so I'm catching up. Here's a mating pair of Glanvilles from my trip yo Dordogne in late May.
Glanville Fritillary (Melitaea cinxia) (2).jpg
Six day weekends, one day pauses.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16155010@N04/

Return to “Glanville Fritillary”