IoW Glanvilles by public transport

John W

IoW Glanvilles by public transport

Post by John W »

Hi, I was wondering which of the Glanville sites on the Isle of Wight is easiest to access by public transport (presumably bus) ?
I'm thinking of getting a ticket to Ryde at the Bank holiday weekend - assuming they will be around?

Thanks for any replies
John
peterc

Re: IoW Glanvilles by public transport

Post by peterc »

John W wrote:Hi, I was wondering which of the Glanville sites on the Isle of Wight is easiest to access by public transport (presumably bus) ?
I'm thinking of getting a ticket to Ryde at the Bank holiday weekend - assuming they will be around?

Thanks for any replies
John
Hi John,

What I did was to travel to Lymington by train and take the ferry to Yarmouth. I walked from Yarmouth towards Freshwater Bay then along the clifftop path - very pleasant. Ii is a fair walk though, say 3 or 4 miles. Compton Bay is one of the best places for the Glanvilles. Good luck if you decide to go.

ATB

Peter
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Buses on the Island are operated by Southern Vectis. see http://www.islandbuses.info/timetables/ for timetables and a map of their routes. I followed peterc's method, but with a bicycle that I took on the ferry - very quick and easy to Compton Bay. I do seem to recall seeing buses along the route, though.

Mike
Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Hi John
I did this one by public transport a couple of years ago and it was a real fun day.
Caught the normal IOW ferry from Portsmouth to Ryde - if you are travelling all of the way by public transport this is dead easy because the 'mainline train' stops at Portsmouth Harbour and the ferry docks at the end of the platform - couldn't be easier.
Then get on the train to Shanklin - I think you have to walk to the other end of the pier to buy a ticket at Ryde Station not sure about this though. Pick up the bus outside the station at Shanklin to Ventnor - I think I got off the bus at the Post Office then just walk towards the sea where it comes out at Wheelers Bay - saw my first Glanville within about one minute of reaching the promenade!!!! I think I am right in saying that Wheelers Bay is normally the first site where they emerge too, very warm and sheltered, and if I remember rightly I made the journey over the late May Bank holiday weekend.
Sound complicated but it was dead easy.
Good Luck if you try it :D
Regrds
Mark
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

John W wrote:I'm thinking of getting a ticket to Ryde
You should - it's a Beatles' classic :) Sorry - been raining all day and I'm going stir crazy :)

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
millerd

Post by millerd »

Hi John - A few years back I did near enough the same as Mark. I came down from up here near London by parking at Woking station and buying a ticket right through to Shanklin (including the catamaran from Portsmouth to Ryde). Then it's a bus to Ventnor - dead easy.

Dave
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

They are out now! See May sightings page. Yipee! :D
John W

Post by John W »

Thanks for the advice people. I was originally thinking of taking Mark's advice and going on the train on Bank Holiday Monday but unfortunately there's going to be a train strike that day :( Perhaps the following weekend if there's any still about.

Cheers
John

Return to “Glanville Fritillary”