Glanville Fritillary - Favourite Photo of 2013

Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Glanville Fritillary - Favourite Photo of 2013

Post by Vince Massimo »

Week 6.

Here is the opportunity to post your favourite photo(s) of a particular species taken in 2013 (or the last time you saw one!).

This is part of a series of topics which will grow over 20 weeks throughout the winter, eventually covering all 59 species which are regularly found in the British Isles. The intention is to showcase three species per week (in alphabetical order), so please wait until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos. Our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants.

Details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome and please feel free to contribute observations of behaviour, stories of personal encounters, anecdotes or other interesting points.

Vince
David M

Re: Glanville Fritillary - Favourite Photo of 2013

Post by David M »

One of only 3 British species I drew a blank on in 2013.

Sadly, it appears the colony in Somerset has disappeared. Both Willrow and I went searching for them there during June but in spite of favourable weather conditions, neither of us found any - may have to make a sea trip in future to observe this species (unless another Wrecclesham is unearthed).
CFB

Post by CFB »

Just to remind David what they look like :) :) :) :
IMG_7395.JPG
IMG_7846.JPG
The Glanville Fritillary is one of my favourite butterflies. They seem nearly always to be in very good condition, and tend to be cooperative with the photographer. These two were seen at the end of May and the beginning of June in Roquefort-les-Pins in the Alpes-Maritimes.
--
Colin
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Hi all,
This one, for some strange reason, crash dived into this bush with its wings open. Peculiar!
Vitrolles, near Marseilles.
Given the limited number of posts for this topic, are these rare in the UK ?
CJ
Attachments
cinxia, 2012
cinxia, 2012
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

cjackson wrote:Given the limited number of posts for this topic, are these rare in the UK ?
This probably explains why not everyone is posting their fave Glanville fritillary: http://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/distribu ... ies=cinxia :D

Great picture, by the way!

I think this is my own favourite from 2013:

However, this couple, deep in the grass, came a close second:

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
William

Post by William »

David M wrote:One of only 3 British species I drew a blank on in 2013.

Sadly, it appears the colony in Somerset has disappeared. Both Willrow and I went searching for them there during June but in spite of favourable weather conditions, neither of us found any - may have to make a sea trip in future to observe this species (unless another Wrecclesham is unearthed).

I think the Glanvilles were eventually seen, though certainly not it numbers like they have been. There's a record on the Somerset and Bristol branch first sightings page -

http://www.somerset-butterflies.org.uk/sightings.htm

I seem to remember someone saying the National Trust will be trying to engage in a bit of management for the fritillaries - fingers crossed they suceed, and the butterflies bounce back!

BWs

William
David M

Post by David M »

William wrote:
David M wrote:One of only 3 British species I drew a blank on in 2013.

I think the Glanvilles were eventually seen, though certainly not it numbers like they have been. There's a record on the Somerset and Bristol branch first sightings page -

http://www.somerset-butterflies.org.uk/sightings.htm

I seem to remember someone saying the National Trust will be trying to engage in a bit of management for the fritillaries - fingers crossed they suceed, and the butterflies bounce back!

BWs

William
Yes, I've heard rumour that the colony has been replenished before.

I'll certainly check Sand Point out again next year as it's pretty easy to get to from where I live and is a lovely spot even without the Glanvilles.
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

padfield wrote:This probably explains why not everyone is posting their fave Glanville fritillary:
I see your point Guy.
Chris
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

This was taken on the Isle of Wight in 2011, the last time I saw the species. It's not the best shot in the world, but I love the way it gives a sense of perspective into the world of this utterly charming little butterfly. Just a forty quid clickamatic, no post-pic messing around and, for me, memories of a wonderful day in a wonderful place
glanville pic.JPG
Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

David M wrote: Sadly, it appears the colony in Somerset has disappeared.
It frequently surprises me how sharply local populations can vary from year to year. Last year (2012), I visited Sand Point, where Glanville Fritillaries were abundant and, apparently, well-established. I believe that this introduced colony has died out before, however, around 2000, and been re-introduced. It would seem, therefore, that conditions are not quite suitable and that the colony succumbs to the 'once in 10 years' type of climatic events.

On the other hand, Black Hairstreaks seemed to be on the brink of extinction in Britain last year, with an alarming population decline of 98% being reported by the UK Butterfly Monitoring Scheme (UKBMS). Yet, they had a particularly good year in 2013, having 'bounced back' quite remarkably. Like many insects, butterflies rely on a breeding strategy that involves huge numbers of offspring coupled to extreme levels of 'infant mortality' from predation, etc. Quite small changes from year to year can, therefore, lead to spectacularly different results, in terms of the adult population.

For the Glanvilles at Sand Point, we can only wait and see what happens next year.

Mike.
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Home grown Glanvilles - Isle of Wight 2013.

P1030027 copy.jpg
P1030004 copy.jpg
P1030065 copy.jpg
lee3764

Post by lee3764 »

Let me guess Maximus............Wheelers Bay Glanvilles? Was the earliest place to see them this year at end of May (just starting to emerge) & we drew a complete blank at Compton Bay up til the 3rd June!!! What a wierd spring & early summer & fantastic summer!! :D
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Yes Lee, you're right, Wheelers Bay and Compton Bay is where we saw them, in mid June and there were plenty at that time. We did go there earlier, towards the end of May, but the weather was awful and they had not yet emerged. Spring was very late and not very long, almost straight from winter into summer. Summer fortunately was fantastic!!

Mike

Return to “Glanville Fritillary”