Gatekeeper - Favourite Photo of 2013

Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Gatekeeper - Favourite Photo of 2013

Post by Vince Massimo »

Week 6.

Here is the opportunity to post your favourite photo(s) of a particular species taken in 2013 (or the last time you saw one!).

This is part of a series of topics which will grow over 20 weeks throughout the winter, eventually covering all 59 species which are regularly found in the British Isles. The intention is to showcase three species per week (in alphabetical order), so please wait until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos. Our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants.

Details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome and please feel free to contribute observations of behaviour, stories of personal encounters, anecdotes or other interesting points.

Vince
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Gatekeeper - Favourite Photo of 2013

Post by Wurzel »

Gatekeeper

This is my favourite of the many, many Gatekeeper shots which I took this year and it fitted nicely into the “Carter Collection”. It will be filed as “unh5”. It’s my fave as I like the way that the light has caught the wing margins making it appear as if surrounded by a halo. Nice.
Gatekeeper (Larkhill).JPG
Have a goodun
Wurzel
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Gatekeepers are exotic for me because they don't exist around Marseilles. I have had to go a fair way north to see any, either in the Massif Central or, as for this male, in Brittany (north west France) - closer to home !!! The colour seems to vary a lot compared to Wurzel's.
Chris
Attachments
tithonius male top side
tithonius male top side
tithonius male under side
tithonius male under side
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

I was lucky at High and Over to find a very fresh male. The sun was getting quite low so it was difficult to keep my shadow off the butterfly but the low sun seemed to have brought out the male scent scales on the topside shot.
DSC_5000 (1024x712).jpg
DSC_5016 (1024x680).jpg
http://bobsbutterflies.blogspot.com
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I have a couple I really like taken at differant places, my first was taken at Hall-Lee-Brook in Westhoughton on the 25th of July and my second was taken in the Sand dunes at Southport on1st of August I really couldn't choose between them :) Goldie
Attachments
Gate Keeper HLB 25th July 2013 IMG_2311.JPG
Gate Keeper's SD 1st August 2013 IMG_2444.JPG
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Loads of Gatekeepers about again locally but it seems that I did not take that many photos of them this year. I did manage a few that I was pleased with however, including the male below with reduced forewing eye-spots and complete lack of hindwing spots seen at Castle Hills near Solihull.
Gatekeeper - Castle Hills 20.07.2013
Gatekeeper - Castle Hills 20.07.2013
My favourite Gatekeeper photo this year is of this female sitting on an old fence panel at the bottom of my garden with the neighbours shed providing a nice background.
Gatekeeper - Coverdale 27.07.2013
Gatekeeper - Coverdale 27.07.2013
Cheers,

Neil.
craigbirdphotos

Post by craigbirdphotos »

Again both images taken in Bentley Wood. I seem to have spent a lot of time in there this year. Taken with a 5d Mk3 and 300mm lens.

3P5A0667.jpg
Settings f13, 1/100s and ISO800
3P5A1215.jpg
Settings f9, 1/160s and ISO800
David M

Post by David M »

Like Dingy Skippers, I paid scant attention to this species in 2013.

I think that was largely due to it being such a late year. By the time Hedge Browns were first appearing, my sights were aimed at other species. I then decamped to Austria and hadn't been back a week when I was off to the Isle of Man for a few days (where, sadly, Hedge Browns are absent).

I honestly think this was my best image of the year (must do better in 2014):
AHBab(1).jpg
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! David isn't it unusal for a Gate Keeper to have two black spots extra on both wings? Goldie

Just looked it up and I think it's an abberration ab.fros-y-ffin Goldie :D
maverick

Post by maverick »

DSCF1200.JPG
Sankey Valley Warrington , at the back of my garden with other species

Return to “Gatekeeper”