Gatekeeper - Favourite Photo of 2012

Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Gatekeeper - Favourite Photo of 2012

Post by Vince Massimo »

Here is the opportunity to post your favourite photo(s) of a particular species taken in 2012 (or the last time you saw one!).

This is part of a series of topics which will grow over 20 weeks throughout the winter until all 59 UK species have been covered. The intention is to showcase three species per week (in alphabetical order), so please wait until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos. Our overseas friends are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants.

Details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome and please feel free to contribute observations of behaviour, stories of personal encounters, anecdotes or other interesting points.

Vince
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Gatekeeper - Favourite Photo of 2012

Post by Wurzel »

Gatekeeper
This was my favourite shot of a Gatekeeper this year as it was one of many that I took on our family camping holiday back in my homeland of Dorset. It was taken in the hedge just behind our tent at Downshay Farm on the Isle of Purbeck during the last week of July. It was one of the first Gatekeeper shots that I took during our 5 night stay and has the fantastic name “u 3 sp elongate”. It was also a form that I “needed” for my Gatekeeper collection.
Gatekeeper.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

i was shocked and surprised that i had only taken pictures of 1 gatekeeper this year.
gk.JPG
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

I really like these little fellows for they are the culprits that got me interested in butterflies and conservation.
One day I was walking along a four year old hedge line that I had planted, that bounded my field, when I noticed these little brown butterflies popping out in front of me every yard or so. I walked back and counted a couple of hundred and it was then that I had my road to Damascus conversion. I must have been doing something right to attract so many and this in turn led to turning the field into wildlife grassland.
Gatekeeper 02.jpg
Gatekeeper 01.jpg
millerd

Post by millerd »

I think my favourite photo was taken locally again, at nearly seven in the evening on 25th July. It was roosting amongst a wide orange-brown fraternity of Meadow Browns, Small Heaths and Small Skippers.

Dave
Attachments
GK2 resized.JPG
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

I feel I neglected the humble Gatekeeper this year with very few photos of them. This one was a fresh specimen in Rowland Wood, seen whilst I was Purple Hairstreak hunting. The light was poor with it being quite late in the day on the 20th July.
Attachments
DSC_9933 (800x531).jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Neglecting Gatekeepers is, I suspect, an endemic default reaction given how common they are.

Shame, because this is a lovely butterfly and one of the few on the spread.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Gatekeepers seemed to be one of the species that actually did well this year around my patch albeit I did not see them in the huge numbers that I did last year at a couple of my local sites.

The first photo of the first one that I saw, on the Warwickshire BC open day at Ryton Wood & Meadows is probably my favourite this year.
Gatekeeper - RWM 20.07.2012
Gatekeeper - RWM 20.07.2012
As they are one of my favourite butterflies(arn't they all :D ), I tend to take shots of them whenever I see them when I am out and about, usually looking for other species.
Gatekeeper - Babbs Mill 27.07.2012
Gatekeeper - Babbs Mill 27.07.2012
Cheers,

Neil F.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

In my photo the Gate Keeper seems suspended, thats why I like it Goldie
Attachments
Gate Keeper HLB 20th August 2012 RSCN9169.jpg
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Goldie M wrote:In my photo the Gate Keeper seems suspended, thats why I like it Goldie
That's a rather odd Gatekeeper - some sort of aberrant! The male brand is rather indistinct and the normally double spot seems to be separated into two almost separate spots on the forewing.

Mike
Nigel Kiteley

Post by Nigel Kiteley »

My favourite Gatekeeper image was captured at Twywell whilst looking for Marbled Whites in July. I watched this female for a few minutes as she deposited several eggs.
Gatekeeper.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

MikeOxon wrote:
Goldie M wrote:In my photo the Gate Keeper seems suspended, thats why I like it Goldie
That's a rather odd Gatekeeper - some sort of aberrant! The male brand is rather indistinct and the normally double spot seems to be separated into two almost separate spots on the forewing.
Yes, Mike. Those spots are almost 'blind', aren't they.

As you say, most unusual.
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

A colourful location. This was just a grab shot and, unfortunately, needed a smaller aperture for more overall sharpness.
Greenham Common, Berks - 9th August 2012<br />Nikon D300s with 300mm + 1.4X TC - 1/1500s @f/5.6 ISO400
Greenham Common, Berks - 9th August 2012
Nikon D300s with 300mm + 1.4X TC - 1/1500s @f/5.6 ISO400
Mike
Debbie

Post by Debbie »

I know I am a bit late getting my picture on, but this is my favourite because of the pleasure I got whilst watching this butterfly in my garden.

Debbie :) :) :)
Attachments
IMG_5357.jpg

Return to “Gatekeeper”