Essex Skipper - Favourite Photo of 2017

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 5 - The clocks have gone back, Fireworks night is upon us and the outside temperature is as though someone's turned the heating off so hopefully this thread will bring solace to those of us who are starting to go days without a butterfly sighting :( :wink:

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As like last year details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
bugboy

Re: Essex Skipper - Favourite Photo of 2017

Post by bugboy »

I didn't see as many of these as usual as I was busy in Ireland and Scotland during the majority of their flight period, and when I was about i was busy chasing little 'n' large purple things which had appeared unseasonably early. This image makes a change from the normal head on shot and was taken in Essex, fast becoming my traditional place to see my first of the year :)
Essex Skipper male, Hadleigh Country Park.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I found my Essex Skipper at Bossingham Kent, I was watching my Grandsons playing cricket and of course when they'ed got out my interest faded :D I wandered over to the edge of the field which proved to be a little heaven for Butterflies,( full of wild flower's)
not only did I get my Small Copper ab here but also my first Essex Skippers for nearly two years :D
My favourite shot has to be this one, although I'd to wade through long grass and the photo has a grass stalk in it I think the Skipper looks cute :D Photo taken on a lovely hot day the 16th of July which I won't forget in a hurry, Butterflies, Hot Sun, Cricket, Family Sandwiches , a lovely English Summer's day. Goldie :D
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_73da.jpeg
millerd

Post by millerd »

Essex Skippers were early on my local patch this year, appearing only a few days after the Small Skippers. When I investigated the little colony on the airport boundary on 16th June, there were already several on the wing. They were starting to roost, and I particularly like this double-decker shot.
ES5 160617.JPG
Dave
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Another species which caught me out a bit by emerging earlier than usual and by the time I managed to go looking for them at my local spots they looked to have been flying for a while with many well worn individuals about. As usual I spent most of my time trying for the head on shots to separate them from the Small Skippers.
Essex Skipper - Bickenhill 23.07.2017
Essex Skipper - Bickenhill 23.07.2017
Essex Skipper - Castle Hills 13.08.2017
Essex Skipper - Castle Hills 13.08.2017
Cheers,

Neil
David M

Post by David M »

No problem regarding my favourite images of this species in 2017....it's the only one!!!

Taken in Abergavenny at the back end of July:
1Essexupps(1).jpg
1Essextips(1).jpg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Essex Skipper

This was taken at Durlston and was my choice for my favourite as finding this little beauty meant that Philzoid and I had encountered all the ‘Golden’ Skippers on one visit. It also shows all the more subtle signs used to differentiate this species form the others; less olive than Lulworth and not as orange as Small, the small and straight sex brand, shape of the antennae and the sandy margins. This shot also reminds me of a fantastic trip – 20+species in a day, beautiful weather, a brilliant location (well it’s back home in Dorset) and great companionship.
DSC_0269 - Copy.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Essex Skipper”