Essex Skipper - Favourite Photo of 2015

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 5

So continues sequence of posts giving one and all the opportunity to showcase their favourite shots of 2015!

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As like last year details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Re: Essex Skipper - Favourite Photo of 2015

Post by David M »

I was delighted to find this species in decent numbers at an unexpected location this year - Abergavenny, where I lived between 2008 and 2010.

I had no idea they could be found here, and had it been at any other time of year I mightn't have paid attention to the 'Small Skippers' buzzing around Castle Meadows to the south of the town centre.

Nice to know I needn't travel far in future to get my annual 'fix'!!
1Essexpair1(1).jpg
1Essexantennae2(1).jpg
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

I find it quite entertaining chasing 'Smessex' skippers to get that elusive underside view, in order to confirm the identity. My photo was taken on the Roman Road at Otmoor and involved some cautious manoeuvring amongst seriously prickly foliage!
Otmoor, Oxon - 6th August 2015<br />Olympus E-M5 with 40-150mm lens - 1/800s@f/10 ISO800
Otmoor, Oxon - 6th August 2015
Olympus E-M5 with 40-150mm lens - 1/800s@f/10 ISO800
Mike
millerd

Post by millerd »

I like the fact that I have a thriving (albeit quite small) colony of this butterfly nearby on a roadside right next to the airport. They were out a little earlier than usual and I took these photos on 29th June.
ES3 290615.JPG
ES11 290615.JPG
ES7 290615.JPG
Dave
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Essex Skippers have certainly consolidated themselves around my local patch over the past couple of years and now often seem to outnumber Small Skippers once they get going. As with a number of species this year they were a bit later than usual and then they had a more protracted emergence with me seeing fresh examples at a couple of spots well into August.
Essex Skipper - Castle Hills Solihull 11.07.2015
Essex Skipper - Castle Hills Solihull 11.07.2015
Essex Skipper - Bickenhill Solihull 19.07.2015
As usual, most of my shots were from angles attempting to get that head on shot to get the diagnostic antennae tips...
My favourite Essex Skipper shot this year however is the one below, quite simply because it was taken in my garden, the first time I have ever seen this species there.
Essex Skipper - Coverdale 18.07.2015
Essex Skipper - Coverdale 18.07.2015
Cheers,

Neil.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

They were extremely numerous at Hadleigh Country Park in Essex and I found this one looking particularly cute :) .
Essex Skipper, Hadleigh Country Park #33.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Essex Skipper

Over the years I’ve contemplated self-publishing a book featuring butterflies ‘in cop’. Due to the lack the originality when compared to the human Kama Sutra as there is only one position :? , the variety of butterflies will hopefully provide the interest :) . This year I made more progress towards my aim finding 2 Skippers, a Blue, a Fritillary and 2 Browns to add to the book!

These Essex Skippers were accorded the honour of my choice my ‘favourite shot’ as not only were they a ‘twofer’ but also because they were ‘at it’ ( :oops: ) at Larkhill.
101 - Copy.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Essex Skipper”