Is this an Essex Skipper?

Paul Simmons

Is this an Essex Skipper?

Post by Paul Simmons »

We found this skipper yesterday in the Brockadale Nature Reserve in South Yorkshire (Magnesian Limestone grassland). It is clearly an aged specimen so late in the year, and the flight period graphs on your site would suggest that Small Skipper is virtually never seen so late, whilst Essex can be. The tips of the antennae are certainly dark, but I am in 2 minds as to whether they are faded orange/brown, or faded glossy black! The upper surface is similarly inconclusive.

We have never seen Essex Skipper at Brockadale before, but have been watching out for it as it is moving north. I have found it less than 20 miles away at Lindholme on Hatfield Moor and at Tickhill (south of Doncaster) this year, in both cases extending the known range slightly further west and north than previous records.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Paul Simmons
Attachments
All photos taken by my wife, Joyce Simmons. Higher resolution photos are available.
All photos taken by my wife, Joyce Simmons. Higher resolution photos are available.
Paul Simmons

Re: Is this an Essex Skipper?

Post by Paul Simmons »

Sorry, only one of the 4 photos got through - here are the rest.

Paul
Attachments
Skipper 3 JS_1067x800.JPG
Skipper 2 JS_1067x800.JPG
Skipper 1 JS_1066x800.JPG
peterc

Post by peterc »

Hi Paul,

It looks like a male Essex Skipper to me. Is there a male sex brand present? If so, it is straight and parallel to the edge of the wing which is also positive for Essex. I stand corrected of course :)

Well done

ATB

Peter
Paul Simmons

Post by Paul Simmons »

Thanks Peter - looking at the forewing there does seem to be a sex brand, which is indeed straight and parallel to the wing edge. So it does seem to be an Essex. We will have to look for a colony next year.

Paul
John Vergo

Post by John Vergo »

Hi
It is a Essex Skipper, without any doubt, look at the antennal tip, it is black underneath :)
Paul Simmons

Post by Paul Simmons »

Hi John

The problem is that the antennae tips are dark underneath, but not glossy black as they are in fresh specimens. I am happy though if you think on balance it is an Essex.

Paul
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Definitely a male Essex Skipper. Aside from the antennae, the sex brand (as described by peterc) is diagnostic and conclusive.

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Paul Simmons

Post by Paul Simmons »

Thanks Pete - it means quite a big jump in the known range this year - 20 miles anyway.

Paul

Return to “Essex Skipper”