Essex Skipper - Favourite Photo of 2011

celery

Essex Skipper - Favourite Photo of 2011

Post by celery »

A thread in which to post your favourite photo(s) taken in 2011 of Essex Skipper.

Details of places, dates, times and circumstances also appreciated. Feel free to contribute observations of behaviour, personal encounters, anecdotes, anything really... you know the score by now :wink: :)
Six day weekends, one day pauses.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16155010@N04/
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Essex Skipper - Favourite Photo of 2011

Post by Wurzel »

This shot was taken at Five Rivers which I suppose is my local patch. It was one of those stolen hours - my wife had taken both the girls swimming and having dropped them off I nipped off for a bit. For me 2011 was the year that I finally cracked the Small/Essex Skipper challenge! It took a bit of a while, several pairs of trousers ruined and my knees will proabably need replacing soon but I managed to identify them when in the field. As with all things once you've got your eye in and some practice you end up slapping your head and wondering why you were such a muppet as to not get it sooner :oops:
040 - Copy.JPG
That said when they go whizzing by they can still be confusing hence my coining of the phrase "Smessex" :wink:
Have a goodun

Wurzel
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Wurzel wrote:wondering why you were such a muppet as to not get it sooner
Don't kid yourself,Wurzel! The females remain tricky to all but the few 'great and good' on this site.

Mike
dilettante

Post by dilettante »

Here's my favourite:

10-Jul-11. Fleam Dyke, Cambs. Sony A700, Tamron 180/3.5, 1/160s f/5 iso200

This was the day after I'd seen my first confirmed Essex Skipper, and was beginning to learn how to identify them. I soon realised they're not hard to find around here, but I'd previously assumed everything was a Small Skipper.

The colours on this photo always remind me of the similarly-name Kipper the dog :D :

millerd

Post by millerd »

No doubt about the identity of this one! Found on 10th July during a futile search for WLH near Iver in S. Bucks.

I like this because it demonstrates the astonishing length of the proboscis in these tiny butterflies - probably longer than the rest of the insect.

Dave
Attachments
ES resized.JPG
Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

I only have two pictures of this little butterfly so i chose this one out of the two. I found the little fellow roosting, but the light was rather poor for a decent photo, so i took one anyway for the record. I went back early the next morning [about 6.30] before work and he was still where i had left him. The light was`nt really any better, but he was the first one i had ever seen. So i took a couple of quick shots and left for work.The result was`nt as bad as i thought it would be,infact i was rather pleased under the circumstances in which the photograph was taken.

S.S., 1/15, A.V., 6.3, ISO, 200, W.B., auto.

Nick.
David M

Post by David M »

millerd wrote:No doubt about the identity of this one! Found on 10th July during a futile search for WLH near Iver in S. Bucks.
That's a cracker that one, Dave. Those antennal tips really are inky black.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Having heard that Essex Skippers had spread into Warwickshire, I was curious to see if I could find at my local spots around Solihull, so back in July I spent one of the few decent sunny afternoons that we had then looking around a couple of spots.

Sure enough, I found Essex Skippers at both spots that I visited. Getting a decent confirmation photo was a diferent story however with them always seeming to settle in the most awkward spots to get that head on shot, the one blow being about the best that I managed.
Essex Skipper - Elmdon Park nature reserve.
Essex Skipper - Elmdon Park nature reserve.
Cheers,

Neil F.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Another one from me.
I have been sorting through my photos and had originally got this one down as a Small Skipper, but looking again and going by the thin straight sex brand, I now think it is an Essex.
Essex Skipper - Castle Hills Solihull.
Essex Skipper - Castle Hills Solihull.
I would welcome a second opinion to confirm either way.

Cheers,

Neil F.
Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi Neil,

I'd go for Essex.

Kind regards. Mark
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Mark,