Duke of Burgundy - Favourite Photo of 2017

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 5 - The clocks have gone back, Fireworks night is upon us and the outside temperature is as though someone's turned the heating off so hopefully this thread will bring solace to those of us who are starting to go days without a butterfly sighting :( :wink:

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As like last year details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
bugboy

Re: Duke of Burgundy - Favourite Photo of 2017

Post by bugboy »

I'd never seen Duke's feeding on Hawthorn blossom before so I took full advantage when a few were seen indulging at Ivinghoe Beacon this year
Duke of Burgundy male, Ivinghoe Beacon.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
IanGD

Post by IanGD »

This was taken at Totternhoe Quarry, Beds on 10th May. The day started overcast and I had to wait for a couple of hours until a break in the clouds produced this one perched on a small hawthorn bush next to me. I had been worried that I was going to be disappointed with this expedition but I saw a three or four more that afternoon and I went home happy.
IMGB2042_edited-9.jpg
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

My favourite photo was taken at Gait Barrow on the 14th May, the weather was cloudy in the morning but by afternoon the Sun was shining. I'd been up to GB before on the 10th of May and seen the Duke but all my photo's were shots from a distance so I was excited and delighted to find this pair much nearer to the roped off area on my next visit :D Goldie :D
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_73ce.jpeg
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Posted two shots ,the male was from an early morning trip to our main (Kent) Duke site at Denge Wood ,and was also pleased to hear two lesser Spotted Woodpeckers drumming on the same morning,wish I,d taken more time seeing if I could actually get a view of them ........maybe 2018 . Also on the wing on that particular morning were several Anania Funebris (moths )a very tiny but striking moth.
The second is a female from a few days later at another much smaller Duke site ,near Crundale ,where they are just
hanging on.
Regards Allan.W.
P1100246.JPG
P1100400.JPG
millerd

Post by millerd »

I had a couple of productive Duke days, one at Noar Hill (22nd April), and then another taking in both Totternhoe and Ivinghoe Beacon (13th May). The first trip included this beautiful ab. gracilens female which I couldn't immediately identify.
DB12 220417.JPG
DB13 220417.JPG
I also like this underside "stained glass" shot (on the larval foodplant) from the same outing.
DB11 220417.JPG
By contrast this one is a very dark male from Ivinghoe.
DB9 130517.JPG
Dave
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

This was my 2nd ever sighting of a Duke of Burgundy.
I am very pleased with it as it is at a site only 60 km from Marseilles. Previously I had to travel as far as the Mercantour in the hope of seeing one.
lucina7_83 Mazaugues Plateau d'Agnis 08May17 (1).JPG
lucina7_83 Mazaugues Plateau d'Agnis 08May17 (4).JPG
(FZ150)
Chris
downland boy

Post by downland boy »

This photograph evokes memories of a good day out in Kent. No matter how often I tell myself that I have enough photos of this species, it is difficult not to get the camera out when they pose so nicely.

http://eastsussexwanderer.blogspot.co.uk
Attachments
Duke of Burgundy (m) 10.5.17 Kent. Nigel Kemp0001.JPG
David M

Post by David M »

A visit to Rodborough Common in late May saw several Dukes, one being found roosting by my neighbour in a wet spell:
1DoBuns(1).jpg
I also saw a few in the French Pyrenees in late May, including this mating pair:
11DoBpair(1).jpg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Duke of Burgundy

I only encountered a single Duke this year at my Duke site despite making several visits. Of the few shots that I got this was my favourite due to the unusual pose and the way the light shone through the wings when it climbed tarsi over tarsi along a blade of grass.
DSC_1012 - Copy.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Duke of Burgundy”