Duke of Burgundy - Favourite Photo of 2013

Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Duke of Burgundy - Favourite Photo of 2013

Post by Vince Massimo »

Week 5.

Here is the opportunity to post your favourite photo(s) of a particular species taken in 2013 (or the last time you saw one!).

This is part of a series of topics which will grow over 20 weeks throughout the winter, eventually covering all 59 species which are regularly found in the British Isles. The intention is to showcase three species per week (in alphabetical order), so please wait until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos. Our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants.

Details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome and please feel free to contribute observations of behaviour, stories of personal encounters, anecdotes or other interesting points.

Vince
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Duke of Burgundy - Favourite Photo of 2013

Post by Wurzel »

Duke of Burgundy

The Duke is one of those butterflies that always makes my season. Over the last couple of seasons I’ve managed to find a few of them but always at the same site which is worrying because if they’re having a bad year it could disappear. So this is my favourite as it was taken at a new site I visited this year which, for my neck of the woods, had an astonishing number of Dukes. A quick walk up the path of about 150m turned up four. A parallel path on the opposite side of a small field produced up to 15 of them, all jostling and scraping for the best spots. To go from searching and seeing 1 or 2 at most to tripping over them was sublime. My abiding memory of the visit was of my younger daughter admonishing some Dukes for scraping and telling them to “Calm down!” :D
Duke of Burgundy (Sidbury).JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Always a firm favourite with me too! Here's a beautiful female posing nicely at Heyshott Escarpment on 31st May.
UKB DoB favourite 2013, Heyshott 31.5.13.jpg
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

I think most people are used to seeing Dukes on scrubby downland but it is also a true woodland species and occasionally I come across colonies along woodland rides. Here is my favourite picture from one of these colonies, taken in June this year. It took a long time to get the picture because several males were defending spots very close together and by the time I had inched my way into the perfect position, to get a butterfly and the habitat beyond it, another butterfly would usually have flown in and disturbed my target.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I have two photo's I like, one ,because although I don't think the shot is one of the best, it still sums up the ralationship between the Duke and his favourite flower. :D
The other photo because I went up to Gaits Barrow a few times looking for the Duke, they were so concerned it had not been seen notices were put every where for people to get in touch if one was seen. Luckily that day we caught a glimpse of him/her (not sure) it was the 19th May and made my day. Goldie :D
Attachments
Duke-Of-Burgandy GB 19th May 2013 DSCN1424.jpg
Duke-Of-Burgandy GB 19th May 2013 RSCN1452.JPG
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Back in early June I made a bit of a last minute decision to head down to Prestbury Hill, this being likely my only chance to see His Grace this year. It turned out to be a great day with me seeing, amongst many other butterflies, at least a dozen or so Dukes and a couple of Duchesses.

Most of the Dukes were very active, constantly intercepting anything that came near as they do, but in the afternoon I found one individual that was a little less boisterous and managed to get some reasonable photos,
Duke of Burgundy - Prestbury Hill 05.06.2013
including these two backlit undersides which are my favourites shots from the day.
Cheers,

Neil.
David M

Post by David M »

This rare but entertaining species is still relatively new to me (only seen about a dozen in my entire life, and all of those males).

I found several leks in the large crater at Rodborough Common, Gloucestershire, on 4th June and spent a good hour watching the antics of this particularly aggressive little butterfly.
111DoB(1).jpg
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

A Duke from Heyshott.
25th May 2013
25th May 2013

http://bobsbutterflies.blogspot.com
millerd

Post by millerd »

I spent another sunny but chilly day back in the spring (2nd May) looking for Dukes at Noar Hill. It was right at the start of this rather late season and only one appeared - but one was enough, especially as I was joined by Pete Eeles, making for a very pleasant morning indeed.
DB2 020513.JPG
The only other Duke I encountered was near Ivinghoe Beacon later in the year (6th June), and it was so worn I didn't immediately recognise it.
DB1 060613.JPG
At least I assume it's wear that has given it the pale cast, rather than it being an aberration of some sort.

Dave
John W

Post by John W »

Here are two favourite photos - one showing the Duke in his natural habitat, on Cowslip, and the other not so natural, perched on the end of Celia Curtis' finger!
duke2.jpg
duke1.jpg
Both taken at Kithurst Hill in Sussex on the 25th May 2013. I was pleased to see a couple more Dukes there than last year, though it still seems a small and precarious colony.

Cheers
John W
craigbirdphotos

Post by craigbirdphotos »

One of my favourite butterflies of the year see. Both images were taken on Stockbridge Down.
3P5A5714.jpg
3P5A5163.jpg
Susie

Post by Susie »

Taken on a Sussex Butterfly Conservation walk at Heyshott this year. The conservation work done on the site was really obvious this year. Tremendously well done to all involved! Duke numbers were really good on the walk. At one point I had a sit down and was chatting to a friend on the phone and I had Dukes flying all around me - it is a wonderful memory.
923554_10151664030631972_712531257_n.jpg
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Favourite photos of Duke of Burgundy..

Second brood Duke of Burgundy, Dordogne, 1st July 2012

And one from Noar Hill 30th April 2013.

P1010802.jpgA copy.jpg

Return to “Duke of Burgundy”