Dingy Skipper - Favourite Photo of 2017

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 4 - onwards and upwards :D .

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As like last year details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
bugboy

Re: Dingy Skipper - Favourite Photo of 2017

Post by bugboy »

Looking back it would seem I saw most of my Dingies at Hutchinson's Bank this year, here's a couple of more unusual angles that caught my eye whilst trying to select my favourite:
Dingy Skipper, Hutchinsons Bank #1.JPG
A pose more usually reserved for it's Essex cousin!
A pose more usually reserved for it's Essex cousin!
Some addictions are good for the soul!
millerd

Post by millerd »

Far from dingy at all when fresh, this species always makes me think of intricately patterned and textured carpets...

One particular occasion stands out this year, when I found them along the Southam Bypass when looking for Small Blues on 25th May. I had never seen them here before in several years of stopping here at this time of the season.
on the kidney vetch planted for the Small Blues
on the kidney vetch planted for the Small Blues
DS5 230517.JPG
I also like this one, in characteristic roosting pose, from Denbies on 23rd April (reminding me that it was an early season).
DS2 230417.JPG
Dave
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I only saw the Dingy once this year and that was on the 10th of May at Gait's Barrow, the weather was lovely at the time and there was quite a few but they didn't land that much so I didn't get too many shots of them. Goldie :D
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_7220.jpeg
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

My favourite Dingy Skips for 2017 ,were both taken at local Duke sights , near Crundale ,Kent. one (the second ) a site where I ,d not seen them before ,so pleased with that ,but all in all not a great Dingy season for me.
Regards Allan.W.
P1100437.JPG
P1090976.JPG
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

This is the only individual I saw of this species this year, and probably my least significant photos of the year. Can do better.
A light coloured stone background is a tricky situation for exposure. I do like the contrast however in Allan's photo above on the 'straw' background.
Photos from the South of France on April 10th.
tages7_83 La Taurelle 10Apr17 (2).JPG
tages7_83 La Taurelle 10Apr17 (1).JPG
(Camera: FZ150).
Chris
David M

Post by David M »

I'm guilty once again of practically ignoring this species.

I only took two images all year, both of them on the day when I saw my first specimens of 2017 (7th May):
1Dingy2.jpg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Dingy Skipper

I struggled with sticking to the ‘rules’ when thinking about this species and in the end decided to go with my favourite two shots :wink: .

The first was taken in May at Martin Down and is the first favourite as it was my first shots of a pairing of this species and another one ticked off ready for my ‘Butterflies In Cop’ book.
DSC_1372 - Copy.JPG
The second favourite came a week later at my Marshie site. Philzoid and I were making our annual pilgrimage to this site and were enjoying a little coffee break surrounded by butterflies whilst waiting for some Walls to show up and this cheeky little get nipped in an helped himself to my coffee! :shock: :roll:
DSC_1944 - Copy.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

I am not really sure how well Dingy Skippers did in Warwickshire this year, I saw them at the usual spots but never in great numbers. This could well have been down to my timing as some early emergence's during the first half of the season caught me out at times. I only managed to get a few so-so photos of which the one below is about the best.
Dingy Skipper - Ryton 10.05.2017
Dingy Skipper - Ryton 10.05.2017
Cheers,

Neil.

Return to “Dingy Skipper”