Dark Green Fritillary - Favourite Photo of 2017

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 4 - onwards and upwards :D .

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As like last year details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
bugboy

Re: Dark Green Fritillary - Favourite Photo of 2017

Post by bugboy »

I didn't see many of these this year but I was pleased with myself at locating an egg laying female and watching her almost prehensile abdomen searching out a dry grass stem in the turf. When she fluttered off I was able to tease apart the turf and locate the egg too :)
Dark Green Fritillary female ovipositing, Box Hill.JPG
Dark Green Fritillary egg, Box Hill.JPG
A few weeks previously I did manage to catch up with a fresh male on Burfurd Meadow at the foot of Box Hill
Dark Green Fritillary male, Burford Meadow, Box Hill.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

Didn't get many opportunities with home-grown DGFs this year. The best image I took was probably this one in the French Pyrenees in late May, when cloudy conditions becalmed this individual:
14DGF(1).jpg
IanGD

Post by IanGD »

I had a good day in early July at Therfield Heath, Herts when I saw this one. The weather was less favourable as the month went on so I was thankful to have had this opportunity.
IMGB3665_edited-3.jpg
millerd

Post by millerd »

I had fewer shots than usual of this species in 2017 for some reason. However, I have selected some behaviour shot that stands out in the memory: on a very hot day (July 5th), in full midday sun, a female was taking moisture/minerals from the chalky path down at Box Hill.
DGF1 050717.JPG
DGF2 050717.JPG
Dave
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

My first shot was taken at Arnside Knott on the 22nd of June, I was taken by surprise with the DGF''s on the side slope where I was looking for PBF or SPBF. In my first shot although some of the wing is slightly covered I still like it for a favourite. My second shot was taken at Warton Craig on the same day, we called there on the way home, we'd just got out of the car when this one flew down, I'd to chase it round for a while until it flew briefly onto a flower, it was the only time I saw them so I included both. :D
I didn't find any PB or SPB Frit's but I was happy with the DGF's. :D Goldie :D
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_73ca.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_67ec.jpeg
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

For once I've got something worth posting.
This beauty was seen half way up to Le Col de la Cayolle in the Mercantour on 26th June.
aglaja8_06 Mercantour 26Jun17 (1).JPG
aglaja8_06 Mercantour 26Jun17 (2).JPG
(Camera FZ150. Being in the right place at the right time with an average camera is better than being in the wrong place at the wrong time with the best camera).
Thanks to David M for the heads-up :D
Chris
David M

Post by David M »

Chris Jackson wrote:This beauty was seen half way up to Le Col de la Cayolle in the Mercantour on 26th June.
I'm pretty sure I know the exact location, Chris! :)

It's interesting how much commoner large Frits are to the west of the Tinée valley. Must be something to do with violet growth.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Dark Green Fritillary

Last year I was chuffed to find my first Larkhill Dark Green Fritillary and this year I kept pacing the same area that I’d found them in last year and again they were present – so it seems that I might, fingers crossed, have a regular site for this species.

This shot was taken there on the first day I found them in the first week of July. There were good numbers flying here and elsewhere but this one stood out among them all as I caught it with the sun behind and in the shade the green really looked ‘dark green’. Whenever I have seen them in the past the green has seemed more olive but this really looked Dark Green and so their name finally made sense :roll: :D .
DSC_0555 - Copy.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

My Dark Green Fritillaries in 2017 were all seen during a few days spent down in the Heddon Valley where I saw good numbers in several clearings and meadows around the area.
Dark Green Fritillary - Heddon Valley 26.06.2017
During one cool and cloudy spell I spent some time watching one female as she fluttered lazily from plant to plant giving me some good photo opportunies,
Cheers,

Neil.
David M

Post by David M »

Hard to get an image of a large species on a grass stem showing the underside, Neil, so well done for that superb DGF photo which is a view rarely seen.

Return to “Dark Green Fritillary”