Dark Green Fritillary - Favourite Photo of 2012

Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Dark Green Fritillary - Favourite Photo of 2012

Post by Vince Massimo »

Here is the opportunity to post your favourite photo(s) of a particular species taken in 2012 (or the last time you saw one!).

This is part of a series of topics which will grow over 20 weeks throughout the winter until all 59 UK species have been covered. The intention is to showcase three species per week (in alphabetical order), so please wait until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos. Our overseas friends are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants.

Details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome and please feel free to contribute observations of behaviour, stories of personal encounters, anecdotes or other interesting points.

Vince
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Dark Green Fritillary - Favourite Photo of 2012

Post by Wurzel »

My favourite photos of Dark green Fritillary were taken at Martin Down on an afternoon in early July. Philzoid, me and our daughters had spent the morning in Bentley Wood with White Admirals, Silver Washed Frits and Large Skippers everywhere and we decided to try for Dark Green. So we piled into our respective cars and bombed over to Hampshire. It was quite frustrating as there weren’t an awful lot of nectar sources around, and the Dark Greens that we found didn’t hang around in one place for very long. It soon got round to time to make our way back so we said our goodbyes and headed back to the car. We were almost back at the car park when my daughter pulled me up short and pointed to a pile of dog muck at the side of the path. There were two Dark Green Frits taking minerals from it which meant that so long as I held my breath or didn’t breathe in through my mouth I could get really close. I have three shots as favourites. The first shows the pair and the behaviour, the other two are close-up shots of the individuals almost like “mug shots”.
315 - Copy-001.JPG
322 - Copy-001.JPG
350 - Copy-001.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

The numbers of Dark Green Frtillaries this year in Friston Forest were very poor compared with recent years. I only managed to locate one fresh specimen which fortunately did hang around long enough for a few quick shots. The last 2 years have produced some large numbers and they generally nectar here allowing a close approach.
Attachments
DSC_9637 (800x531).jpg
millerd

Post by millerd »

I only saw DGF in a couple of locations this year (whereas last year they seemed much more widespread). In fact, the two places were close (Box Hill and Denbies) and the sightings were on the same day. Here is a fresh male hunkered down from the wind at Denbies on 30th June.

Dave
Attachments
DGF1 resized.JPG
David M

Post by David M »

This is a fast moving and skittish butterfly and presents certain difficulties with regard to approaching it to take satisfactory shots.

In a way, I feel that a photo that portrays these characteristics is somehow more appropriate, so my personal favourite from 2012 was an image taken warily at distance of an individual feeding briefly from a thistle head before zooming off at pace to do likewise somewhere else nearby, out of the range of my camera:

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

The only Dark Green Fritillaries that I saw this year were at Arnside Knott when I spent a couple of days there at the end of July. The DGFs were nearing the end of their flight season here and the males especially were looking very faded and tatty although some of the females were in a bit better condition.

I rather like the shot of the female below,
Dark Green Fritillary - Arnside Knott 30.07.2012
but my favourite has to be this underside shot of another female.
Cheers,

Neil F.
Nigel Kiteley

Post by Nigel Kiteley »

My favourite Dark Green Fritillary photo was taken in Spain in June.
DGF.jpg
Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

I don`thave a favourite picture as i like all the photos i keep for one reason or another,whether good or bad. One of the many photos i was lucky enough to take of this species this year.
1.7.2012 C.W. 405-1_1.jpg
This photo was taken at Chiddingfold Wood, Surrey.
P.J.Underwood

Post by P.J.Underwood »

Nick,
That is rather a splendid photo.I wonder how many hours it took?
Philip
Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Thank you Philip,thats very kind of you.I was very fortunate to have found this individual on a overcast day and spent 2 1/2 memorable hours photographing this butterfly along with some others who happened to be passing, who were also out butterflying that day, including Neil [Sussex Kipper] who got some lovely pictures as well. The following day i was lucky enough to find another male, the weather conditions being the same and, spent a further two hours photographing this beautiful insect.This year i have put in a lot of time trying to photograph the D.G.F., how many hours i don`t know but, sooner or later you are bound to get lucky. Here is a photo from that day.
1.7.2012 C.W. 037_1.jpg
All the best, Nick.
nomad

Post by nomad »

Lovely images of Dark Greens. I managed to take a few, while I was looking for High Browns at Yewbarrow near Witherslack at the end of June. Peter.
Feeding with hoverfly.
Feeding with hoverfly.
754.JPG (90.83 KiB) Viewed 2742 times
Female taking nectar at Marsh Thistles, Yewbarrow
Female taking nectar at Marsh Thistles, Yewbarrow
Male feeding Yewbarrow
Male feeding Yewbarrow
Attachments
Dark Green Fritillarys  at Yewbarrow, Witherslack
Dark Green Fritillarys at Yewbarrow, Witherslack
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

My photo was taken on the 21st July, it was one of the best days I can recall, weather wise and photo wise has I managed to get the High Brown Frit as well Goldie :D
Attachments
Dark Green Fritilary.jpg

Return to “Dark Green Fritillary”