Cryptic Wood White - Favourite Photo of 2015

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 4

So continues sequence of posts giving one and all the opportunity to showcase their favourite shots of 2015!

I always get caught out by this species - should I run a 'Species fave shot' post or should I lump it in with Wood White? Well it seems releasing it as a 'Bonus' (so 4 fave posts in a week rather than 3) seems the best way of doing it. :D

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As like last year details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Re: Cryptic Wood White - Favourite Photo of 2015

Post by David M »

It's a British Isles species, Wurzel, so it has to be included.

Other than Pete Eeles, however, I don't know of anyone on here who's actually seen this butterfly lately.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

I Have! :D

After a wait of several years,I had the pleasure of visiting Northern Ireland in June this year,and (with a little help from Pete!) visited Craigavon Lakes to see Cryptic Wood Whites.

In reality,Cryptic Wood White,as their name suggests,look on the face of it exactly the same as our own Wood Whites, although their habitat and action are different. They are probably worth seeing only for completeness,and as an excuse to visit this beautiful part of our country.

The cold May,which was frustrating at times,probably helped me here,delaying their emergence. My visit in June may otherwise had been just too late for it in a warm year,so i was lucky!
Attachments
craigavon lakes,site for cryptic ww
craigavon lakes,site for cryptic ww
cryptic wood whites 003a.JPG
cryptic wood whites 002a.JPG
David M

Post by David M »

Ten out of ten, Buzzard!! :D
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

A very informative post essexbuzzard, especially as you've included habitat shots - certainly not like 'regular' Wood White territory!

Mike

Return to “Cryptic Wood White”