Clouded Yellow - Favourite Photo of 2016

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 3 - Apologies if this is earlier than expected, tomorrow I'm visiting family and so won't be able to post at the normal time...

The third week and the third opportunity to showcase your favourite shots of 2016! Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos - just to make it easier to organise and keep everything on track so that we can enjoy this throughout the winter months? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As like last year details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
downland boy

Re: Clouded Yellow - Favourite Photo of 2016

Post by downland boy »

In my boyhood, the sight of a Clouded Yellow sprinting across the Sussex Downs was guaranteed to set my heart pumping. Now, in my 60's, that feeling has never diminished. I saw my first one of this year in August on Pevensey Levels.
Attachments
http://eastsussexwanderer.blogspot.co.uk
http://eastsussexwanderer.blogspot.co.uk
False Apollo

Post by False Apollo »

It has not been the best Clouded Yellow year for me. I think I have only seen 3, and one of those was yesterday 22 October at Southbourne Undercliff. I managed a few pictures of this particular male which allowed close approach. My first sighting was on 25th March after which I did not see any until one heading north at Winspit, Dorset a couple of weeks ago. I am hopeful I will see a few more this year if the weather is favourable.
Attachments
Clouded Yellow at Southbourne Undercliff 22.10.16
Clouded Yellow at Southbourne Undercliff 22.10.16
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Well done Downland Boy and False Apollo.
I'm glad you've managed to get sightings this year.
Here is an image from the South of France - a pair on the 15th August. Having searched through my archives, I realise I have neglected this species in 2016
crocea40_83 pair Vallon du Cros 15Aug16 (1).JPG

If I'm lucky, I should still see some of these yet in the weeks to come.
Chris
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I've had good results with these this year but probably the best was a freshly emerged male I found on Denbies at the beginning of September. the weather was pretty much perfect, warm and bright but cloudy kept his activity turned down from the usual manicness and allowed me to get really close and also grab some upper side shots. Can't really choose a favourite but the first one does make me smile, he looks as though he's frowning at me :lol:
IMG_0259.JPG
IMG_0201.JPG
IMG_0288.JPG
a couple of weeks later in the season I also found my first ever Helice
IMG_0069.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
celery

Post by celery »

I took these pics in France in mid-September.

There were lots of Berger's Clouded Yellow about but I have made the determination that these are 'ordinary' Cloudeds. If you know different please don't hesitate to tell - I'd be keen to learn more about any diagnostic features to look out for.
Clouded Yellow (Colias croceus).jpg
Clouded Yellow (Colias croceus) (2).jpg
cheers, celery
Six day weekends, one day pauses.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16155010@N04/
David M

Post by David M »

Sadly, I didn't see a Clouded Yellow on UK soil in 2016, and because they're so common in southern France I generally don't bother with them when I'm over there, yet I did take an image of this species during my Pyrenees trip in late spring. Not a good one by any stretch of the imagination, but it's the only one I have this year of crocea:
3CY(1).jpg
millerd

Post by millerd »

I almost hesitate to post a favourite yet, because their season isn't over and I just might see another...

However, from the year so far I'd have to pick these two from consecutive days doing similar things. The first is from Aston Rowant on 29th August...
CY5a 290816.JPG
...and the second from Denbies on 30th.
CY2 300816.JPG
Both are reliable sites, and at Aston Rowant they were seen in exactly the same parts of the hillside as those seen in previous years.

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Clouded Yellow

This was taken at Martin Down during the August influx. It is my favourite as it was the closest and most detailed shot that I got of this individual and also it was species number 49 for me of 2016 – my best ever species count! Luckily I managed to get on this side of it as the other was worn and torn.
DSC_0597 - Copy-001.JPG

Have a goodun

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

In 2016, the offspring of migrant Clouded Yellows kept me busy and entertained
until well into November. Two main sites, at Tide Mills and Shoreham produced
the most late sightings. The cooler temperatures of late Autumn also meant that
the Butterflies were easier to photograph,often stopping to bask more frequently
than the Summer arrivals from the Continent.
Attachments
P1300368.JPG
P1300367.JPG

Return to “Clouded Yellow”