Clouded Yellow - Favourite Photo of 2012

Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Clouded Yellow - Favourite Photo of 2012

Post by Vince Massimo »

Here is the opportunity to post your favourite photo(s) of a particular species taken in 2012 (or the last time you saw one!).

This is part of a series of topics which will grow over 20 weeks throughout the winter until all 59 UK species have been covered. The intention is to showcase three species per week (in alphabetical order), so please wait until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos. Our overseas friends are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants.

Details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome and please feel free to contribute observations of behaviour, stories of personal encounters, anecdotes or other interesting points.

Vince
millerd

Re: Clouded Yellow - Favourite Photo of 2012

Post by millerd »

Only one opportunity to see this butterfly this year, and from a distance only, sadly. Southbourne on September 15th...

Dave
Attachments
CY2 resized.JPG
PhiliB

Post by PhiliB »

I only saw one Clouded Yellow in the UK this year but they were abundant when I visited Austria earlier this month.

The first picture is a male.
Clouded Yellow 121003 075S.jpg
This is a female helice
Clouded Yellow ab. helice 121003 232S.jpg
... and finally, a Berger's I think - I'm quite prepared to be corrected on this one!
Berger's Clouded Yellow 121002 214S.jpg
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Its now 2 years since I've seen a Clouded Yellow, but this excellent series has made me look back at earlier pics of these and 3 years ago we had good numbers of Clouded Yellows in Sussex and here are 3 photos from that era including a helise form.
Attachments
252 (800x576).jpg
207 (800x548).jpg
031 - Copy (800x531).jpg
David M

Post by David M »

The middle one's a particularly lovely shot.

When's our next Clouded Yellow invasion due?
CFB

Post by CFB »

This is my favourite of the year due to the nice colours together with a partial view of the upper-side.

Am I right in thinking that it is a male?
IMG_3608.JPG
--
Colin
Nigel Kiteley

Post by Nigel Kiteley »

I have yet to see this wonderful species in Britain, but fortunately for me my girlfriend lives in Spain where it is plentiful. The first image was taken in August in a meadow in Miraflores de la Sierra to the north of Madrid. The second, which i believe is a Berger's Clouded Yellow was also taken in August when we visited Burgos which is 200km to the north of Madrid.
Clouded Yellow.jpg
Bergers Clouded Yellow.jpg

Return to “Clouded Yellow”