Clouded Yellow - Favourite Photo of 2017

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 3 and onwards into the 'C's'...Another one I won't be participating in, still no Cloudy for me but there is still the slightest of chances.

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As like last year details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Re: Clouded Yellow - Favourite Photo of 2017

Post by David M »

Only seen one fly-by Cloudie in the UK this year, but as per usual there were hundreds in France, both in the Pyrenees during late Spring and in the Alps in July. This one is from the lower reaches of Mt Canigou, in the Pyrenees:
10CloudedYellowfemale(1).jpg
downland boy

Post by downland boy »

I had an enjoyable few hours watching Clouded Yellow activity on Pevensey Levels last week, where there has been a good autumn emergence of this species. Numerous males quartered clover rich pastures in search of freshly emerged females. I watched two pairings, one of which was this slightly worn male mating with a helice female.

more images at http://eastsussexwanderer.blogspot.co.uk
Attachments
P14801070001.JPG
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

My female Clouded Yellow was seen in the South of France on October 15th. Each year there is a sudden appearance of fresh individuals aound this time.
crocea41_83 female La Taurelle 15Oct17.JPG
Chris
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I was so lucky this year to see an helice ab for the first time, :D The weather had been very windy but quite Sunny when we went to Temple Ewell on the 25th of July, it was spotted on the lower field at first, it gave me a real run a round when it flew up the hill quite quickly with me in the chase :D I thought I'd lost it when I got to the top of the hill and couldn't see it, I was just about to go back down the hill when I spotted it quite still on a flower ,it moved from flower to flower with me trying to get the best shots I could in the circumstances :lol: Goldie :D
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_6fd3.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_6731.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_6fc8.jpeg
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

My favourite Clouded Yellow photos were taken during a family holiday down on The Lizard in Cornwall in August. During the week that we were down there I saw them at a number of spots including Kynance Cove and behind the beach at Kennack Sands.
Clouded Yellow - Kynance Cove 22.08.2017
Clouded Yellow - Kynance Cove 22.08.2017
Clouded Yellow - Kennack Sands 23.08.2017
Clouded Yellow - Kennack Sands 23.08.2017
Cheers,

Neil.
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Like a lot of UKB,ers I had a good season with Clouded Yellows and managed to find them at around a dozen different sites ,the first at Lydden in late July ,the single one was from Reculver ,and shared the plant with an unusual bee (Long horned .....Longicornis ,I believe ) .The pair ,I like the way the female has raised her legs and ,s making a play for the male was taken near the old lighthouse at Dungeness ,and Dungeness was probably the best site of all ,I saw ten + on four occasions, several "Helice" turned up but alas not for me ! Going back to the pair ,I watched them for some time following each other about and was hopeful of them pairing,but sadly didn,t happen !
P1180418.JPG
P1190920.JPG
P1190567.JPG
Regards Allan.W.
millerd

Post by millerd »

For me the favourite was the individual I came across immediately after leaving the car park at Mill Hill just a few weeks ago on 26th September.
CY3 260917.JPG
I also fondly remember the one I saw over several days in August on my local patch and finally caught up with on 31st.
CY1 310817.JPG
CY8 310817.JPG
It felt like a real achievement!

Dave
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

My one from yesterday! The best one I have seen this year, and perhaps the last-thought hopefully not! Taken at Canvey Island, Essex. :D
Attachments
P1670349.JPG
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Held off from posting on this thread since I was still chasing them on the south coast when it started but here's three that stand out for me from this years crop down on the Sussex coast :)
Clouded Yellow male, Mill Hill Shoreham 1.JPG
Clouded Yellow male, Shoreham Harbour.JPG
Clouded Yellow male, Mill Hill Shoreham 2.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

I'm so envious of those of you who see this species on home soil almost routinely.

A Clouded Yellow is a notable visitor to Wales, and if I see even one I feel elated!

Return to “Clouded Yellow”