Chequered Skipper - Favourite Photo of 2011

celery

Chequered Skipper - Favourite Photo of 2011

Post by celery »

A thread in which to post your favourite photo(s) taken in 2011 of Chequered Skipper.

Part of a series inspred by ChrisC's thread about 'Favourite Photos' and hopefully growing throughout the winter until all 58 British species have been covered.

Details of places, dates, times and circumstances also appreciated. Feel free to contribute observations of behaviour, personal encounters, anecdotes, anything really... :)
Six day weekends, one day pauses.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16155010@N04/
ChrisC

Re: Chequered Skipper - Favourite Photo of 2011

Post by ChrisC »

another one to add to the long not seen list. :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I'm with Chris again on this one...if I ever intend to try and see all the British species this will probably be one of the last... :(

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Rosalyn

Post by Rosalyn »

I listened to the horror stories too. This year Phil and I decided to give it a go and found them easily. Within a few minutes in fact, and it was raining :wink: I would post a pic of us in our wet weather gear but I haven't got the hang of that yet :(
celery

Post by celery »

No pictures yet! :shock: ...and nothing to offer from me either I'm afraid.

Come on folks... we must have some Scottish members on here... surely not everyone comes from the Home Counties :oops:

Rosalyn.. please figure out how to post a picture pronto - you could be this thread's hero and saviour... :)

Rosalyn

Post by Rosalyn »

Chequered Skipper 110607 135S.jpg
Hope This works. Wet few days, got soaked a few times but worth it :P
Attachments
Chequered Skipper 110607 107S.jpg
Chequered Skipper 110607 144S.jpg
PhiliB

Post by PhiliB »

Here are some pics of Rosalyn enjoying the Scottish weather and my favourite CS shot.
Glen Loy 110607 019.jpg
Glen Loy 110607 040.jpg
Chequered Skipper 110609 124.jpg
celery

Post by celery »

Wow :!: That was definitely worth the wait.... and made my mind up that that's a trip I must do next year.

Fabulous pictures - thanks so much Rosalyn and PhiliB (my heroes) :)

John W

Post by John W »

Seeing those three Chequered Skippers on a single stem illustrates how locally abundant even the rarest species can be. Think of Heath Fritillary at Blean Wood or Large Blue at Collard Hill. I guess it just goes to show that habitat is all...
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

Rosalyn and Phil,
those are all lovely shots. I like the 'scene-setting' ones too Phil. I'm hoping to go next year: just a matter of timing (and money!). :D
Michael
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Completely agree - lovely shots of a species I am yet to see.

Cheers

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

PhiliB wrote:my favourite CS shot
and I was pleased to get just one on a Bluebell! Super shot of the three!!

as John W commented, seeing many rare (resident) species is mainly a case of being in the right place at the right time but getting photos like these needs a bit more skill.

Mike
lee3764

Post by lee3764 »

Good old Glen Loy!!!! Been there many times & slept in my car many times during the 80's & 90's whilst locating & studying them. Must say that your fortunate to find them in the rain as they usually are very difficult to find unless the sun is out. Well done indeed & hope you gained as much enjoyment as I did over the years. See my report on this site somewhere put on by Pete Eeles in May 2010. It is (I think!) called " Rediscovering a colony of Chequered Skippers in Glen Loy during 2008". I drove my family up there & shared the wonder of Glen Loy & the Western Highlands with them. Incidently, we rented a cottage for a week as the sleeping in a car & roughing it has been resigned to my younger years when costs were kept down to an absolute minimum!!! (Petrol was massively cheaper too!!!) as it came into it as I drove 640 miles each way from Cornwall. No speed cameras then either 20 odd years ago!! Those trips to Glen Loy that I made all the way from Cornwall were amongst the most fulfilling & enjoyable during my near 40 years of watching & following my interest in British Butterflies! Don't just go to the well known reserves indicated in booksguides or shown on the internet.............Go and find your own colonies and add to the discoveries that can still be made in the countryside! I did & please locate & read my report if you can find that article which must still be on this UK Butterflies website somewhere.
Cheers all,
Lee Slaughter (Cornwall).
PhiliB

Post by PhiliB »

Your article was the reason that Glen Loy was at the top of our list of places to visit.
Like you, this trip turned out to be one of my most rewarding & enjoyable butterfly experiences.
Many thanks Lee
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Lee, i have read your article several times now and it is excellent. Now i've taken the long drive up from East Anglia a couple of times,and had the pleasure of seeing them myself,your experiance really rings true-i've even got my own T-shirt! I would advise anyone from the South thinking of visiting, to go in late May. The weather is often better in May than in June(average rainfall at Fort William is 3 and a half inches in May,5 inches in June), and the adults are fresher on average.
It was great to see you at Breney in june,Lee-and all those Fritillaries can't be wrong!
Cheers all,
Mark.
Rosalyn

Post by Rosalyn »

I don't discount an element of luck but our success rate has been due to Phils diligent research and our Perseverance. I wonder how many people would have looked out of their hotel window and thought, not worth looking. We had about dozen parked up on their Bluebells, Photos taken 7th June btw
lee3764

Post by lee3764 »

Rosalyn wrote:I don't discount an element of luck but our success rate has been due to Phils diligent research and our Perseverance. I wonder how many people would have looked out of their hotel window and thought, not worth looking. We had about dozen parked up on their Bluebells, Photos taken 7th June btw
Rosalyn....Well done for your persiverance! Mind you, with travelling all that distance it would be daft not to go & have a look! Try sleeping in your car driven into & parked for the night amongst the bushes along the narrow single track road in Glen Loy with no sanitation & sixty billion midges :evil: for company after spending 12 hours driving up from Cornwall?! :lol: PS....only 3 hours darkness at night up there too at Chequered Skipper flight time :!: :!:
Good times!
Cheers,
Lee Slaughter.

Return to “Chequered Skipper”