Brown Hairstreak - Favourite Photo of 2017

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

So the Favourite Photo enters round 2!

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As like last year details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.
Here we go then! :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Chris Jackson

Re: Brown Hairstreak - Favourite Photo of 2017

Post by Chris Jackson »

This year I went from the stage of thinking I would never see a Brown Hairstreak in my life, as they do not fly anywhere near Marseilles, to getting the uppers and unders of a female in mid September in a place where no sightings have been made for over 16 years. Then, one month later (yesterday), I found 3 eggs on blackthorn in the same spot. Youpee !!
Probably my most noteworthy sightings of 2017.
Chris
betulae1 female La Taurelle 16Sep17 (6).JPG
betulae1 female La Taurelle 16Sep17 (3).JPG
betulae - ovum1 La Taurelle 15Oct17.JPG
betulae - ovum2 La Taurelle 15Oct17.JPG
betulae - ovum3 La Taurelle 15Oct17.JPG
millerd

Post by millerd »

I managed my first photos of a male butterfly this year down at Bookham (11th August), so that has to come high on the list.
BrH12 110817.JPG
I also saw some nice new females at the same spot on two different days...(1st and 11th August)
BrH6 010817.JPG
BrH2 110817.JPG
...and then a worn but very cooperative female down at Noar Hill (19th August).
BrH3 190817.JPG
A good year for them from my point of view I'd say! :)

Dave
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

A very noteworthy sighting Chris, well done! :D

And Dave, I do believe that female on the Hogweed looks rather familiar, in fact she may well feature again just below :wink:

My battle with the Bookham Brown Hairstreaks this year was rather enjoyable, a battle I eventually won by a 15 - 2 landslide :D

This was the first one I saw on the 25th July, one of 4 males eventually seen at low level
Brown Hairstreak male, Bookham Commons #3.JPG
Several fresh females were also seen including this one, in the company of Dave (Millerd)
Brown Hairstreak female, Bookham Commons #12.JPG
But I can't forget my first ever sighting of a larvae (who sadly died for reasons unknown but possibly parasitism). I located it on an isolated sprig of Blackthorn as an egg during the winter.
Brown Hairstreak larvae, Bookham Commons #6.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

Chris Jackson wrote:This year I went from the stage of thinking I would never see a Brown Hairstreak in my life, as they do not fly anywhere near Marseilles, to getting the uppers and unders of a female in mid September in a place where no sightings have been made for over 16 years. Then, one month later (yesterday), I found 3 eggs on blackthorn in the same spot.
Good for you, Chris. This is a very elusive butterfly so I suspect that having found it, there may well be more than you think in that area.
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Thanks for you comments, Bugboy and David.
I'll be back out there egg spotting this winter and trying to judge the extent of the laying domain.
Chris
David M

Post by David M »

Chris Jackson wrote:I'll be back out there egg spotting this winter and trying to judge the extent of the laying domain.
Excellent idea. Few butterflies provide as much winter enjoyment as late summer, but betulae egg hunting is almost on a par with tracking down the adults. A great winter pastime!
peterc

Post by peterc »

On 4 August at Bookham Common, I found a male and a female feeding in the same spot.

ATB

Peter
Attachments
Brown Hairstreak (m) Bookham Common 4Aug17
Brown Hairstreak (m) Bookham Common 4Aug17
Brown Hairstreak (f) Bookham Common 4Aug17
Brown Hairstreak (f) Bookham Common 4Aug17
David M

Post by David M »

Dire weather throughout most of August put paid to me seeing very many Brown Hairstreaks, but I persevered and was rewarded with a dozen or so females during my 4 visits to the Pembrokeshire site:
1BH4uns(1).jpg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Brown Hairstreak

This was taken at Shipton Bellinger and is my favourite as the photo was obtained in the strangest of situations. Not only was it the easiest butterfly find, literally a case of turning it up and there it was but also this shot was taken after reaching the front of a queue! :shock: :D
DSC_1006 - Copy.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
andy brown

Post by andy brown »

Here is one from Shipton last Aug, not the best flower/perch to be on but a nice fresh specimen of the butterfly non the less
Brown Hairstreak 1 - Resized.jpg

Return to “Brown Hairstreak”