Brown Hairstreak eggs

Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Brown Hairstreak eggs

Post by Vince Massimo »

If anybody has rescued any Brown Hairstreak eggs this year you should tie them to your host plants straight away. I have already had one report of captive eggs hatching on 16th March. This is 4 weeks earlier than I have ever experienced and 6 weeks earlier than stated in expert literature.

If you have any Purple Hairstreak eggs, then also be prepared for them to hatch very soon.

Vince
Mark Tutton

Re: Brown Hairstreak eggs

Post by Mark Tutton »

Thanks Vince
I have had a complete disaster from the handful of eggs that I rescued from Noar Hill - checked them last weekend as I realised they might be early and had prepared to fix them to my blackthorn - only to find they have all been predated! I had lined the container - which had been left in the garage - with tissue and there appeared caterpillar frass so i suspected they might have hatched - but on examining each egg under a hand lens each they had all been eaten into around the base. On closer examination I could see movement on the white tissue and these appear to be small mites ( eight legs ) of some sort (red spider?) which seemed to have produced the frass. Have taken some photos of the critters but unfortunately every single egg has succumbed so no BH for me :evil:
I know BH is supposed to be pretty hardy but all mine have been got at and will post photos of what I think are the culprits when I get the chance and perhaps someone can identify them.
Mark :D
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
Paul Harfield

Re: Brown Hairstreak eggs

Post by Paul Harfield »

Hi Mark

Sorry to hear about your Brown Hairstreak eggs, that is very bad luck :( Hopefully others will have faired better. I also notice that one of my Purple Hairstreak eggs seems to have suffered in the same way. hopefully the remaining two will hatch successfully.

Return to “Brown Hairstreak”