Brown Hairstreak - Favourite Photo of 2011

celery

Brown Hairstreak - Favourite Photo of 2011

Post by celery »

A thread in which to post your favourite photo(s) taken in 2011 of Brown Hairstreak.

Part of a series inspred by ChrisC's thread about 'Favourite Photos' and hopefully growing throughout the winter until all 58 British species have been covered.

Details of places, dates, times and circumstances also appreciated. Feel free to contribute observations of behaviour, personal encounters, anecdotes, anything really... :)
Six day weekends, one day pauses.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16155010@N04/
ChrisC

Re: Brown Hairstreak - Favourite Photo of 2011

Post by ChrisC »

another species that has thus far escaped me. so looking forward to seeing and getting jealous :)
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I'm going to apologise in advance as I couldn't make up my mind which photo was my favourite.

First up was a splendid male taken at Shipton Bellinger on 31st July. I wasn't having any luck when I bumped into Clive and Shirley who proceeded to show me bush where they'd seen one earlier and he was still there. I loved the honey colouration. It was all the more special as we saw a few more that day but none waited for a photo!
Male - Nikon D-60, Nikkor 18-55, f/8, 1/80
Male - Nikon D-60, Nikkor 18-55, f/8, 1/80
Later in the season (15-08) I visited Alners Gorse and I have to admit that I found it to be a little bit special as a site. Brown Hairstreak seemed to be everywhere! One female was quite shy and tried to hide away amongst the Sloes, while another was much more showy. As a lot of the brambles had gone over the butterflies seemed to have switched to the purpley thistle like flowers (sorry I'm Zoologist by trade), which provided a nice contrast against the orange of the butterfly.
Hiding female - 1/100, f/8
Hiding female - 1/100, f/8
Showy female - 1/60, f/8
Showy female - 1/60, f/8
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

I only saw the one Brown Hairstreak this year. The female below was spotted at Bernwood Meadows back in the last week of July.

I had called in on my way back from Aston Rowant to look for the 'Purple Hairstreak Tree' that Michaeljf had described in one of his reports.

The occasion was especially memorable for me as it was when I nearly put my foot in a wasps nest as I was taking the photos as previously described in my diary.
Whilst backing away from the wasps, I lost site of the BH which turned out to be the first and last sighting of one of these lovely butterfies that I have had this year.
Brown Hairstreak female - Bernwood Meadows
I did try again later at Grafton Wood but unfortunatly was defeated by the weather which was far too cool and gloomy when I was there.

Cheers,

Neil F.
John W

Post by John W »

My favourite is this shot of the Brown Hairstreak Whisperer himself in action :)
bh2.jpg
This one is a bit tatty but I like the classic open wing pose:
bh1.jpg
Steyning Rifle Range, August 21st 2011
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

My favourite photo is this one of a 4 day old larva which was one of three I reared this season. I could see that the egg had hatched but I did not know which bud the larva had crawled into. I was absolutly delighted when I finally managed to find it, because it was only 2mm long and it marked the start of a journey of discovery for me as I watched it develop.
Brown Hairstreak Larva 14-April-11
Brown Hairstreak Larva 14-April-11
Lots of photos were taken of the adults when they were released, but I quite liked this one which was taken with flash, resulting in a dark background.
Brown Hairstreak Female 13-July-11
Brown Hairstreak Female 13-July-11
The full storey is here: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=5032

Vince
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

All lovely photos - Neil F - glad my tip paid off in some way! :wink:

This year has been a bit of a let-down for me with the Brown Hairstreaks, as opposed to last year which was very successful, expecially at West Williamston. This year I seemed to have either just missed the Hairstreaks by a week or day, or just been to places in sporadically poor weather (curse you lucky southerners!! :) ). However, I did have a lovely day at Alners Gorse (like some others here) which included waiting to the very late afternoon when the sun burst through and suddenly there were about 4 Brown Hairstreaks showing themselves at the top of an Oak. The best one was the pictured below - I think it may have been freshly hatched as it possibly has a drop of it's own fluid towards the back of it's hindwing.

Michael

Fresh Brown Hairstreak, very late afternoon showing - Alners Gorse (30th July 2011)

I like this picture from the visit on the same day (Karen and Willrow looking for the Hairstreaks).
I've broken the rules now for adding another picture!
The Annoying Czech

Post by The Annoying Czech »

I have a vague feeling the species is scarcer to see in the Central Europe than in UK. Some photographed vainly hunted those Hairstreaks for years.

Anyway, he's my good old battered overgrown female. My only.. (2011-09-09)

Her damage is still fascinating me :)

Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

There are quite a few places Brown Hairstreak can be seen in the UK, but even if present, they don't always show up... one of our most difficult to see species I think... my first were this year at Shipton Bellinger, so special to me...
IMG_1587 as Smart Object-1.jpg
IMG_1501 as Smart Object-1.jpg
:D :D
Rosalyn

Post by Rosalyn »

Shipton Bellinger :)
Attachments
Brown Hairstreak 110803 S019.jpg
Susie

Post by Susie »

A few years old I'm afraid but still my favourite pic.
10319_154092546971_584286971_3538393_6330415_n.jpg
GOLDENORFE

Post by GOLDENORFE »

shot at grafton wood , my first ever sighting, on a trip where i saw 6

phil

daveh

Post by daveh »

I took this picture on Otmoor, Oxon on August 12th 2011. It was quite cloudy and this individual was just resting on a thistle.
Attachments
brownhairstreak.jpg

Return to “Brown Hairstreak”