Brown Argus - Favourite Photo of 2014

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Brown Argus - Favourite Photo of 2014

Post by Wurzel »

Week 2

So continues sequence of posts giving one and all the opportunity to showcase their favourite shots of 2014!
Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As like last year details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Chris Jackson

Re: Brown Argus - Favourite Photo of 2014

Post by Chris Jackson »

Here is a Brown Argus nectaring on Spurge in April in the South of France. The trickiest bit as usual is to get close but not to cast your own shadow.
Chris
agestis5_13 Vitrolles friche 10 Apr 2014 (2).JPG
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

This was taken while I was experimenting with the use of a +1 close-up lens on my Lumix FZ200. It also shows the 'colon' mark on the underwing quite well.
Seven Barrows nr. Lambourn - 16th May 2014<br />Lumix FZ200 (fl=108mm) with +1 CU lens - 1/1600s@f/4 ISO125
Seven Barrows nr. Lambourn - 16th May 2014
Lumix FZ200 (fl=108mm) with +1 CU lens - 1/1600s@f/4 ISO125
Mike
millerd

Post by millerd »

My favourites both come from Bedfont Lakes Country Park, conveniently close to work. One is a lovely new female seen on 7th August.
BA1 070814.JPG
The second photo to me just captures the resilience and feistiness of the species, with an almost unrecognisable male trying it on with an almost equally decrepit female (19th September).
BAx2 190914.JPG
Dave
David M

Post by David M »

This lovely insect is one I fair neglected during 2014.

The day I saw my first specimens was 14th May in Kittle Quarry, about a mile from where I live. They were all beautifully fresh.
1BArgus(1).jpg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Brown Argus

Taken on a cloudy, grey afternoon at the Devenish this was my favourite shot because it really seemed to jump out from the background. It looks really sharp and the lunules seem particularly vivid amongst the dull greys and greens of the day. So vivid in fact that the image stuck in my mind and when it came time to recall my favourite Brown Argus the choice was possibly the easiest to make.
Brown Argus.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

There seems to be a good deal of blue scales around the abdomen of that individual, Wurzel.

Are you sure it's a Brown Argus?
millerd

Post by millerd »

It does look a bit unusual, but the pattern of the underside spots (the "colon") make it a Brown Argus for me.

Dave
David M

Post by David M »

millerd wrote:It does look a bit unusual, but the pattern of the underside spots (the "colon") make it a Brown Argus for me.

Dave
I completely agree, Dave. However, I've never seen a Brown Argus with such a blue profusion.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Definitely a Brown Argus David - along with pattern that Dave mentioned and larger and brighter lunules before it moved the fore-wing back I could see that it lacked that extra spot that Common Blues have (the cell spot) :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

You know what else it has, if you look really closely at the black spots between the orange lunules and the hindwing margin... There are hints of what look like one or two blue scales, in the fashion of a Silver Stud. Unless I'm imagining it all! :D

Dave
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

I'd always be very wary of judging colour from a single photo - lighting, shadows, reflections, etc. can all play havoc with colour balance. In my opinion, the whole photo has a distinct blue cast.

There's a very similar example by Pete Eeles at gallery/image_page.php?album_id=246&image_id=8219 , which also shows a scatter of light scales around the edges of the orange lunules, into the black.

Wurzel's is a nice Brown Argus photo, in roosting position :)
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

I saw my first few Brown Argus of 2014 whilst down on the IOW in May but it wasn't until I started to see the second brood at various places in late July and through August that it appeared to me that they were having a good season. I also saw good numbers in Dorset in early September although most were getting worn and faded by then.

There were a dozen or so at Aston Rowant when I went there in late July and where the photo below was taken.
Brown Argus - Aston Rowant 29.07.2014
Brown Argus - Aston Rowant 29.07.2014
I was particularly pleased to find at least half a dozen at a couple of local spots around Solihull, in previous years I had only found an occasional individual around here.
Brown Argus - Bickenhill Solihull 30.07.2014
Brown Argus - Bickenhill Solihull 30.07.2014
Brown Argus - Solihull 09.08.2014
Brown Argus - Solihull 09.08.2014
My overall favourite Brown Argus photo of the year however is probably the nice female below, taken at Grafton Wood later in August where I found numerous examples of this species along the rides and paths.
Brown Argus - Grafton Wood 20.08.2014
Brown Argus - Grafton Wood 20.08.2014
Cheers,

Neil
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

I was on a dragonfly hunt when this fresh Brown Argus settled next to me. I didn't get to my usual BA site too much this year so this was a bit of luck.
DSC_0836 (1280x850).jpg
Nigel Kiteley

Post by Nigel Kiteley »

I have two favourite Brown Argus images from this year and both were taken at Bishop's Hill in Warwickshire.
Brown Argus6.jpg
Bishop's Hill - 28.07.2014.

Brown Argus3 copy.jpg
Bishop's Hill - 30.07.2014.
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

First garden record...

This individual was a little camera-shy.
Dsc02049.jpg
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Well ... I'm "surfing" through the various posts and, I have to say, this thread has really confirmed my view that UKBers are really ahead of the game in terms of quality butterfly shots. Specifically, when I look at magazines (and even books) that are "focused" on macro photography from the (so-called) experts, their photographs are lower quality than those from UKBers! One individual provides consistently-bad shots (and has even written books), but I won't name names :evil:

Suffice to say - I've learned so much from fellow UKB enthusiasts on the butterfly front (although I do need to get to grips with the environment shots from Padders and others), and it seems that others have too :)

What an awesome website, even if I say so myself :)

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Pete Eeles wrote:What an awesome website, even if I say so myself
You're dead right there Pete :) Having this means to share our butterfly interests and experiences is a godsend. And some of the member's photos are class :!: .. they spur you on to do better :D

And now my favourite Brown Argus is this one taken from Butser Hill (cracking site)
2014.05.11 IMG_1523 Brown Argus, Rake Bottom, Butser Hill.jpg
Phil
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

One of my favourite from last year was taken on my local patch, a short walk from my flat. I spent quite a time watching the small colony, including a mating, and this female was very obliging to having me stick my camera in her face :)
Attachments
Brown Argus, Walthamstow Marshes, '14 #13.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Pete Eeles wrote:What an awesome website, even if I say so myself
Agreed - and isn't it great to have such a wonderful collection, without having stuck a pin in anything :)

Mike

Return to “Brown Argus”