Hebe ID Please

Discussion forum for butterfly foodplants, and butterfly gardening in general.
SCOTT761

Hebe ID Please

Post by SCOTT761 »

Can anyone ID this Hebe please, it is covered in lovely small lilac and white flowers and is approx 2 1/2 to 3 feet in height and it has been covered in butterflies (mostly Red Admirals) as well as various other types of insects in recent weeks, my neighbour used to have a couple of Hebes in her garden but they have never attracted more than the odd butterfly although they were always covered in bees so I never really thought of them as a great butterfly plant but this one is a real butterfly magnet and has been attracting almost as many butterflies as the likes of Buddleja Davidii, Erysimum 'Bowles Mauve' and Verbena Bonariensis, many thanks.
Attachments
Hebe 3.PNG
Hebe 2.PNG
essexbuzzard

Re: Hebe ID Please

Post by essexbuzzard »

Not sure what kind of hebe it is, Scott,but what I would say is hebes are very easy to strike, from cuttings. Simply take a non-flowering shoot about 6 inches, or 15 cm., long, remove all leaves from lower two-thirds of the cutting and insert into a pot of compost, two-thirds deep. Water in, then put a polythene over it. Leave in a bright but not sunny position, and protect from frost. It will probably not root now until spring.

Return to “Foodplants and Gardening”