What should I plant?

Discussion forum for butterfly foodplants, and butterfly gardening in general.
Aughie

What should I plant?

Post by Aughie »

I currently have a tree in my garden I just know as a hanky tree. It stands about 7 or 8 feet high. Its bark is covered in a fungus and more than half of it is totally dead to the point its affecte branches snaps off dry and dead. The leaves on the unaffected parts are a nearly whitish colour on one side so I suppose it looks like its covered in hankerchiefs. Anyhow I have decide its got to go.

What would you recommend to replace it with that would be butterfly friendly. It is in the centre of a lawn with a small surround of flowers. Somthing other than buddliea if possible.
selbypaul

Re: What should I plant?

Post by selbypaul »

The only true butterfly tree's in the UK are Elm (White Letter Hairstreak larvae), Oak (Purple Hairstreak larvae), and Sallow (Purple Emperor larvae). For something smaller, you could go for Buckthorn (Brimstone larvae). Hope this helps.
Paul
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

selbypaul wrote:The only true butterfly tree's in the UK are Elm (White Letter Hairstreak larvae), Oak (Purple Hairstreak larvae), and Sallow (Purple Emperor larvae). For something smaller, you could go for Buckthorn (Brimstone larvae). Hope this helps.
Paul
And of those only the Purple Hairstreak and Brimstone are found in Ireland. Buckthorn would be my choice unless you were after a flowering shrub/tree?
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Susie

Post by Susie »

I've always had butterflies drawn to the pear tree in the garden in autumn, had one in my last garden as well as this one. Insects like the blossom in spring and late season butterflies like the fruit if you leave some on to rot. Plus you get some fruit for you too. Win/win.
David M

Post by David M »

What about a strawberry tree? I believe Cotswold Cockney has one in his garden and it is a great draw for vanessids.
John_C

Post by John_C »

I would suggest the Seven-Sons Flower (Heptacodium Miconioides) which can either be grown as a small tree (Top Image) or large shrub (Bottom Image) depending on pruning, it can grow to about 15-20 feet high and 10 feet wide and its white flowers are very attractive to a wide range of butterflies, bees and other insects during August and September.

http://www.homenursery.com/blog/bid/314 ... wer-Review
Heptacodium Miconioides Tree.jpg
Heptacodium Miconioides Tree.jpg (12.1 KiB) Viewed 1652 times
Heptacodium Miconioides Shrub.jpg
False Apollo

Post by False Apollo »

I have a mature Strawberry tree in the garden which attracts all manner of butterflies in the autumn. Red Admirals especially love it. It would probably take a few years to establish though, and we have a very mild climate down here which helps. I can also wholeheartedly recommend Hebe Great Orme, which does get pretty big as a shrub. Holly Blues especially love it.

Regards
Mike
Aughie

Post by Aughie »

None of the butterflies mentioned in the 1st reply have I ever seen in my area. I even have a mature holly bush in my front garden and theres plenty of ivy in the field behind us but I have never seen any holly blues either.

The most regular visitors here are small tortiseshells, red admirals, common blues, burnet moths, Silver Y moths, Painted Ladies, Small coppers, Cinnebar moths, Whites (Small & Large) , Meadow browns, Ringlets, Peacocks & up until this year speckled woods.

I think I will investigate the Heptacodium Miconioides as it looks a beautiful tree. The Strawberry and pear also sound good.

P.S. I live about 16 miles from Murlough nature reserve which boasts over 600 species of butterflies & moths including the marsh fritillary

Return to “Foodplants and Gardening”