Holly Blue Ovum on Hebe

Discussion forum for butterfly foodplants, and butterfly gardening in general.
Paul Harfield

Holly Blue Ovum on Hebe

Post by Paul Harfield »

In what would seem to be a great year for Holly Blue, they have been constant visitors to my garden over the last few weeks. They seem to find a large Hebe bush irresistible both for nectaring and basking. On Saturday I spotted a female spending longer than normal on one of the flower heads. On closer inspection I could see she was probing between the florets with her abdomen looking for a place to lay. Upon examination afterwards I found a single egg. The individual florets are now open on this flower head and are normally fairly shortlived. They will probably be finished by the time this egg hatches
Is this a recognized foodplant for this species :?: Does the fact that it has been laid on this plant automatically mean that the larva will be happy here :?:
Holly Blue ovum on Hebe
Holly Blue ovum on Hebe
Last edited by Paul Harfield on Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Re: Holly Blue Ovum on Hebe

Post by Pete Eeles »

jackz432r wrote:Does the fact that it has been laid on this plant automatically mean that the larva will be happy here :?:
P1070295.JPG
Excellent observation, Paul - keep an eye on the egg and let us know if the larva develops ok :)

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

I saw a Holly Blue laying eggs on garden Astilbe a few years ago. Kept checking next few weeks for caterpillars,but no sign. So i don't think they made it,it seems the females can make mistakes. :?
Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Further updates on this in my PD as and when they happen:D
Cotswold Cockney

Post by Cotswold Cockney »

Have seen female Holly Blues inspecting various plants and shrubs over the years, Have seen them lay on the Climber Virgina Creeper too. I suspect it uses a variety of foodplants in addition to the better known usual two.

Be interested to know how this single ovum progresses in the future. Many years since I bred Holly Blues but I do remember the larvae feed up and pupate very quickly. If this plant is suitable, the flowers or the developing seeds on that flower cluster will be ample to feed up a small larva.
Cotswold Cockney is the name
All aspects of Natural History is my game.

Return to “Foodplants and Gardening”