Early flowering insect attracting garden plant

Discussion forum for butterfly foodplants, and butterfly gardening in general.
Steve Babbs

Early flowering insect attracting garden plant

Post by Steve Babbs »

Hi all

I'm about the least 'green fingered' person going but I am trying to make back my garden more attractive to insects. Can anyone recommend a good, insect friendly, easily available, early flowering plant please?

Thanks

Steve
Last edited by Steve Babbs on Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
kevling

Re: Early flowering insect attracting garden plant

Post by kevling »

Hi Steve,

The following are good early flowering varieties (March/April):

Aubretia
Bugle (Ajuga reptans)
Forget Me Not (Myosotis Sylvatica)
Honesty (Luneria annua)
Sweet Rocket
Sweet William

Later on in the spring/early summer, try leaving a small section of grass to grow wild if you have enough room in your garden.
I tried this last summer, an area only 2 metre diameter. I was amazed with the number of insects and moths that found a home. I even attracted my first skippers into the garden :D

Regards Kev Ling
DaveBasham

Re: Early flowering insect attracting garden plant

Post by DaveBasham »

Steve Babbs wrote:Hi all

I'm about the least 'green fingered' person going but I am trying to make back my garden more attractive to insects. Can anyone recommend a good, insect friendly, easily available, early flowering plant please?

Thanks

Steve
I slightly hesitate to recommend it because it is such a thug but if you can be ruthless with it then Green Alkanet - Pentaglottis sempervirens - is a good bet to answer your question, Steve. You'll probably never get rid of it if you get it, and it will try to take over, but it is excellent for early bees and butterflies. Mine is just about over now but has been attracting lots of the early season bumble bees, solitary bees, honey bees and a variety of butterflies. If you do get some just be aware of its boisterous nature - it needs discipline!

Return to “Foodplants and Gardening”