Large white feeding on passion flower

Discussion forum for butterfly foodplants, and butterfly gardening in general.
BOO

Large white feeding on passion flower

Post by BOO »

Had a large White caterpillar feeding on my passion flower. I wondered why it wasn't growing so well. I left it to pupate then after around 3 weeks it flew! Just wondered if anyone else has found a large White feeding on passion flower. It surprised me. It's not in any literature. Any thoughts, ste
maverick

Re: Large white feeding on passion flower

Post by maverick »

not sure about large whites but plenty of large slugs on mine !!!!!! yuk
danny500

Post by danny500 »

use anti insects spray........
We are the leading the world in 640-864 best certkiller gre and wikipedia solutions. Our incredible offers for passguide and examsheets University of Chicago accessible at reasonable JUNIPER our selftestengine ged is very rare in IT IBQH
MrSp0ck

Post by MrSp0ck »

I have had various moth larvae feeding on a wide range of passiflora, although its poison to most larvae, the heliconids make use of the toxins, as another toxin species the Large White larvae could probably adapt to it, if your one made it through.

It seems from my experiments that its only in the last instar that foodplant is important, and this is passed on the the female for laying her own eggs.

I have bred Deaths Head Hawks on Sallow, Poplar, Willow, Cherry, all with success, while if you feed them on Buddleia the larvae usually die in the last instar, they are the green form of the larva too, even wild laid eggs and larvae seem to give up as fully grown.

I often change the foodplant of heliconids, by moving last instar larvae as they come out of the skin change, onto on i want the females to lay on, and it always works.

Some of my Glanville Larvae wandered onto Purple Toadflax and were happily feeding on that for a few weeks.

Return to “Foodplants and Gardening”