Dusky Large Blue - Favourite Photo of 2011

The Annoying Czech

Dusky Large Blue - Favourite Photo of 2011

Post by The Annoying Czech »

I'm starting a thread of another maybe a bit exotic species. I presume there is no reason for "2011" restriction :)

Not long ago, I've been invited to the "lepidopterologistic cottage" in southern foothills of the Beskydy Mountains, where "Duskies" have been occupying two wetland (but still easily walkable) meadows - along with Scarce Large Blue and some "commoners". Depsite many opportunities, this is the only photo I'm satisfied with (although slightly resharpened). A good, lucky circumstances, I guess.

Later on, I started to look for him in my village, but it was too late. Monitoring says that it was only my own fault :)

I know he's not exactly a representative of the beauty of butterflies. But I totally like him for being completely different from other Blues. Dusky has special, interesting habitat and life cycle as well.

After closer research I see how globally rare the species is - eg. in France. He's registered as "Near threatened" here, I think mostly because of the Natura 2000 standards. They can be often found in the meanders of the Oder river. Since they are more dispersing and less management-sensitive than Scarce Large Blues, they find "better home" here than other Phengaris Blues.
Reverdin

Re: Dusky Large Blue - favourite photo

Post by Reverdin »

I can't compete with your sparkling image Marek, but here are three, for different reasons.. taken in Switzerland in 2011...
Classic Dusky
Classic Dusky
lesser spotted Dusky
lesser spotted Dusky
battered but open winged Dusky
battered but open winged Dusky
:D :D
The Annoying Czech

Well, I'm trying to start the threads only with representative photos :D

And this third shot must be definitely rated as interesting and worthy, both for the flower head and the imago itself. "Duskie" with open wings means you've been either lucky or very patient (or at least you got up very soon).

I'll certainly be shooting them next year here, presumably trying to nab them in some unusual position/situation (like sitting out of the burnet :D). But it looks like Switzerland is a right place to meet them too.
Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

I haven't seen them enough to know just how difficult it is to see them with open wings, only read the books...

- but this battered female was behaving totally different to all the others... so much so I just wondered if she was somehow injured, say for example a non lethal encounter and escape from a spider (????). This pic shows a miniscule scattering of blue scales near the body..
same female open winged
same female open winged
The Annoying Czech

They never do that! You just proved 9/10 level of luck! :D (10/10 would go for a fresh, partly blue male :))

From what I've seen, they're even more "rearwings-only" and closely tied to the host plant than Scarce Large Blues (Arions/Large Blues are quite often sunbasking with opened wings I'd say).
The Annoying Czech

I gravedigged and remade one more fresher "Duskie" (I said I have a tons of them :)). I decided to keep this one darker..

I realized I have one male's forewings which is a rarity, but on a crappy photo.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Great pictures, Marek and Rev!

Dusky large blues do indeed occasionally settle with the wings open, like their congeners, and I don't think it is a sign of anything wrong with the butterfly. The problem for the photographer is that they don't usually do it for very long and once they've shut the wings again they may stay like that indefinitely.

I had a brief window of opportunity this summer but after my first, distant record shot of the event she closed her wings and that was that. It was quite late in the day.

All the other large blues love basking with their wings open, but dusky is a very special species in lots of ways. For one thing, it is nearly always stuck to greater burnet, as it is in all the above pictures except mine. It even mates on these flower-heads. I find it a wonderfully enigmatic species.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

There is a remarkable photo on this discussion board http://www.insecte.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6307 showing this butterfly's obligate parasite Neotypus pusillus, along with the foodplant and a couple of specimens of the butterfly in the background. All that is missing to illustrate the complete lifecycle is the appropriate ant.
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

:D
Last edited by Lee Hurrell on Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Matsukaze wrote:There is a remarkable photo on this discussion board http://www.insecte.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6307 showing this butterfly's obligate parasite Neotypus pusillus, along with the foodplant and a couple of specimens of the butterfly in the background. All that is missing to illustrate the complete lifecycle is the appropriate ant.
That is an amazing photo :o
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Yes - an interesting photograph. The poster mocks the butterflies for moving off as soon as a parasite rubs against them. Does this photo, which I took in 2006, show a parasite attempting to dislodge the butterfly? I didn't identify it as a parasite at the time but it does look rather similar.

Guy
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
The Annoying Czech

Re: Dusky Large Blue - Favourite Photo of 2011

Since my 2011s Duskies were nothing but average, badly postprocessed crap, I'm adding the ancestors.

In 2012 I've seen Duskies flying from Burnet to Burnet at up to 10 sites, making tons of shots. Mostly crap as usual :D but these ones are one of the best achieved.

This season I want to be better again plus add the "open winged" photo, as well as damn Great Burnet absent from the picture, at least once! (It happens, barely but does.)
Attachments
phengaris_nausithous_2012_07_19_nova_horka_2.jpg
phengaris_nausithous_2012_07_19_nova_horka.jpg
Rosalyn

Post by Rosalyn »

Some very nice pictures :)
David M

Post by David M »

Your last shot is particularly good, Marek, although we know you like to rub our noses in it! :)
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

The Annoying Czech wrote:Since my 2011s Duskies were nothing but average, badly postprocessed crap, I'm adding the ancestors.
Nice shots. And they're in much better nick than my ancestors ... :D

Guy

Return to “Species-Specific Forums”