Brimstone - Favourite Photo of 2017

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

And so it begins...Starting this week the first opportunity to showcase your favourite shots of 2017! Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As like last year details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.
Here we go then! :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Re: Brimstone - Favourite Photo of 2017

Post by millerd »

Back to the last day of May for this one, and Wurzel's Wunderful Wiltshire Hill. Whilst looking mostly at Marsh Fritillaries late in the day I came upon a nectaring female Brimstone being persistently bothered by a male right down on a bramble at close to ground level. The duration of this encounter allowed for considerable fiddling with camera settings, and in amongst them was one that produced these two photos.
Brimstone1 310517.JPG
Brimstone2 310517.JPG
Throughout it all, the lady nonchalantly kept on nectaring. The male is actually airborne in both shots.

Dave
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

On 22nd May this year I found 21 freshly laid Brimstone eggs on my potted Alder Buckthorn. This is one of the resulting pupae, which is 10 minutes away from producing a male butterfly.
Brimstone pupa - Crawley, Sussex 27-June-2017
Brimstone pupa - Crawley, Sussex 27-June-2017
Vince
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Amazing shots by Dave and Vince. I'll keep the variety going with a pair of friendly cats, photographed on 6th June in my local woods:

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Some absolutely superb images there Dave,Guy and Vince .Nice One !
Didn,t take too many shots of Brimstone myself this season ,but of the few I did take these were my favourites , the single is on
Vipers Bugloss ( Echium vulgare ) ,and the double shot is on Common Fleabane (Pulicaria dysenterica ).
Regards Allan.W,
P1170001.JPG
P1140715.JPG
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Brimstones were for me a bit of a rarity this year. Spring numbers were significantly lower than previous years and, despite my regular day trips over south east England, I only managed two fresh summer animals.

Anyway this is my best attempt at an open wing shot.
Brimstone male, Hutchinson's Bank #1.JPG
The next two are joint favourites simply due to them being photographed on the same day and could easily represent a 'father and son' :shock:
Brimstone male, Burpham Meadows (North Stoke) #2.JPG
Brimstone male, Burpham Meadows (North Stoke) #5.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

My favourite shot of a Brimstone, has got to be the very latest shot I took in my garden :D It was so unexpected and one of my best ever of a Brimstone. :D Goldie :D
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_70a7.jpeg
downland boy

Post by downland boy »

This photograph is my favourite by default. It was the only Brimstone that I photographed in 2017 and its curious markings caught my eye.
Not a true aberration but the staining in the wings is pathological in origin; I am reliably informed that the cause is leakage into the membrane from damaged wing veins.

http://eastsussexwanderer.blogspot.co.uk
Attachments
Brimstone (m) (pigment deformity) 25.8.17 _ East Sussex. Nigel Kemp.JPG
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Isn't modern technology wonderful. Not so long ago, an open-wing shot of a Brimstone was almost impossible to achieve whereas now, with fast and accurate auto-focus and high-speed shooting, it only needs patience and the ability to point the camera in the right direction at the right time :)

My photo takes me back to a brilliant day in early Spring, when I shot loads of photos of Brimstones nectaring on a patch of Primroses, at my local Dry Sandford Pit reserve. Shooting at 10 frames per second, I soon ended up with a memory card full of pics, from which I kept 81, many of which provided excellent top-side views.

The one I have chosen is not, however, one of those but, instead, illustrates the mutual benefits provided by the relationship between the flower and butterfly. I learned about the different types of Primrose flowers, known as 'pin' and 'thrum', which facilitate transfer of pollen between flowers. The pollen grains can be seen clearly on the proboscis of the butterfly in my photo, which has gained its reward for the service offered to the flower in the form of nectar.
Dry Sandford Pit, Cothill, Oxon - 26th March 2017<br />Olympus E-M1 with 100-400mm lens - 1/4000s@f/8 ISO640
Dry Sandford Pit, Cothill, Oxon - 26th March 2017
Olympus E-M1 with 100-400mm lens - 1/4000s@f/8 ISO640
Mike
David M

Post by David M »

Some of the images on this thread put my own efforts in 2017 with this species to shame!!

In spite of the Brimstone being one of my favourite butterflies, I barely took an image of one at all this year.

I have to go back to March 26th to find this individual nectaring from a primrose at the foot of Kilvey Hill, Swansea:
1Brimstone(1).jpg
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

It wasn't until I started looking back that I realised how few Brimstones I have seen this year...and photographed even fewer. One of the few that I did manage to take a photo of was slightly ragged round the edges female in my garden back in May.
Brimstone - Coverdale 14.05.2017
Brimstone - Coverdale 14.05.2017
Cheers,

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Brimstone

This was taken at a newish site for me; the Lavender Farm at Landford. It's my favourite mainly because because of the way the light caught the wings revealing the hair/scaliness of them and also showing up the nicely contrasting purple 'nicks' along the wing margins. The other reason it that it reminds me of a blissful afternoon with my family and of the delicious Cream Tea :wink: :D
DSC_1213 - Copy.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
peterc

Post by peterc »

Very few Brimstones locally for the new brood so far so it was good to find one feeding on knapweed on 14 August at Norton Green Common.

ATB

Peter
Attachments
Brimstone Norton Green Common 14Aug17
Brimstone Norton Green Common 14Aug17

Return to “Brimstone”