Winter social 2016

Discussion forum for field trips and any other events.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Re: Winter social 2016

Post by Pete Eeles »

Matsukaze wrote:How do I recognise a group of fellow lepidopterists when they are not in the field?
That really sounds like the start of a joke; we'll need to think of a good response :)

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Susie

Post by Susie »

Pete Eeles wrote:
Matsukaze wrote:How do I recognise a group of fellow lepidopterists when they are not in the field?
That really sounds like the start of a joke; we'll need to think of a good response :)

Cheers,

- Pete
Lepidopterists in the field and generally quite distinctive, maybe less so in the pub. I vote we all wear a purple emperor to make ourselves known. :lol:
millerd

Post by millerd »

If they order a bread roll, you just have to wait and see if the butter flies...

(unfortunately it's not possible to remain anonymous on this forum :( - you didn't specify that it had to be a good joke, Pete :) )

Dave
Susie

Post by Susie »

bugboy wrote:
Matsukaze wrote:I think I can make it this year, too. Are we expected to eat there? How do I recognise a group of fellow lepidopterists when they are not in the field?
Yes food is available and if you can't find us, look out for this man!
download/file.php?id=96880&mode=view
Who is that dapper chap? :wink:

It's this coming Saturday, folks, see you there! :D
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Afraid unable to make it this year. Will miss seeing you all - hopefully will make it next year after we have a great butterfly season
Mike
John W

Post by John W »

Unfortunately due to family commitments I won't be able to make it either. I hope you all have a great time and hopefully see you next year :-)

John W
P.J.Underwood

Post by P.J.Underwood »

Depressingly,due to a wound on my head,an injured knee and damaged muscles after the cold of Copenhagen,I am going to have to duck out of it this year.I hope to be better by next year.
P.J.U.
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

P.J.Underwood wrote:Depressingly,due to a wound on my head,an injured knee and damaged muscles after the cold of Copenhagen,I am going to have to duck out of it this year.I hope to be better by next year.
P.J.U.
Get well soon, P.J.!

Cheers,

- Pete
Catriona

Post by Catriona »

I do hope you are all having a great afternoon at the gathering. I am dog-sitting for my daughter just up the road from Otterbourne. But I haven't got transport to get me to the restaurant. This darling dog has been to the restaurant a few times. She is as quiet as mouse. But it is too far for us to walk there.
So I apologize for not getting there.

Have fun.

Iona
Susie

Post by Susie »

Catriona wrote:I do hope you are all having a great afternoon at the gathering. I am dog-sitting for my daughter just up the road from Otterbourne. But I haven't got transport to get me to the restaurant. This darling dog has been to the restaurant a few times. She is as quiet as mouse. But it is too far for us to walk there.
So I apologize for not getting there.

Have fun.

Iona
Oh, that is such a shame! I wish I had know before the event and I could have given you a lift to the pub. The back of my car is converted to a comfy dog area so there would have been ample provision for your pooch to get to the pub.
Last edited by Susie on Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

I’m sure everyone will agree it was another thoroughly enjoyable afternoon at the Winter Social at the Old Forge :D . It’s a great venue, good beer; good food and great company although with the seating we do tend to get a bit spread-out and as such I didn’t get around to having a chat with everyone … the time goes so quickly and before you know it it’s time to go.
From left  clockwise:- Susie; Bugboy; Essex’s lady friend (sorry I didn’t get your name); Essex Buzzard; Wurzel (supping); Millerd; Matsukaze and Philzoid (Pic taken by ChrisC. (missing Pete Eeles and Jackz432r who had to leave a bit earlier).
From left clockwise:- Susie; Bugboy; Essex’s lady friend (sorry I didn’t get your name); Essex Buzzard; Wurzel (supping); Millerd; Matsukaze and Philzoid (Pic taken by ChrisC. (missing Pete Eeles and Jackz432r who had to leave a bit earlier).
Bugboy; Susie with Steam punk hat, and Chris C
Bugboy; Susie with Steam punk hat, and Chris C
IMG_9331.jpg
Phil
Susie

Post by Susie »

P.J.Underwood wrote:Depressingly,due to a wound on my head,an injured knee and damaged muscles after the cold of Copenhagen,I am going to have to duck out of it this year.I hope to be better by next year.
P.J.U.
I'm so sorry to hear that, PJ. Get well soon.

You, Mike and John were missed.

It was lovely to meet Matsukaze for the first time, I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to talk to you myself.

That being said I had a really lovely time meeting up with ten other Ukb members and the time, as always, flew too fast. We never ran out of conversation; it's lovely to spend time with other butterfly enthusiasts.

My thanks to Pete Eeles, our founding father and all round hero, without whom this forum wouldn't exist.

And my thanks to Bugboy, because if he hadn't jogged my memory I wouldn't have had the arduous task of organising the event (one whole post! :lol: )

Til next year, my friends! :D
Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Sorry I missed you all I had to deal with a family crisis at the last mo - all resolved. It's a shame because it is always a most convivial atmosphere and nice to catch up with acquaintances without butterflies interfering!
Here is to next year :D
Kind Regards
Mark
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

It was a very pleasant afternoon and great to catch up with some familiar faces again :D
Some addictions are good for the soul!
millerd

Post by millerd »

A thoroughly enjoyable way to spend the afternoon having a good old natter about our favourite subject in excellent company. :D

Dave
Susie

Post by Susie »

Mark Tutton wrote:Sorry I missed you all I had to deal with a family crisis at the last mo - all resolved. It's a shame because it is always a most convivial atmosphere and nice to catch up with acquaintances without butterflies interfering!
Here is to next year :D
Kind Regards
Mark
Sorry you couldn't make it, Mark.
Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Philzoid wrote:I’m sure everyone will agree it was another thoroughly enjoyable afternoon at the Winter Social at the Old Forge :D . I didn’t get around to having a chat with everyone … the time goes so quickly and before you know it it’s time to go.Phil
Agreed, a very enjoyable couple of hours and like you say time goes so quickly. Nice to see some familiar faces and a couple of new ones and the regulars who could not make it were missed. Sorry to those I did not get to speak to.
Living the closest to the venue I have no excuses but arrived a bit late and unfortunately had to leave a bit earlier than the others to pick up my son from work. A good result though was managing to miss the group photo again :D

See you all again next year
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Susie wrote:My thanks to Pete Eeles, our founding father and all round hero, without whom this forum wouldn't exist.
You're too kind, Susie! I consider UKB to be self-running these days and, with such an enthusiastic bunch of members, know that it is in good hands. And thanks for organising the annual get together, once again!
jackz432r wrote:A good result though was managing to miss the group photo again :D
Likewise ... lol! Great to have a natter with you Paul, as well as most others, although apologies for a) not managing to talk with everyone and b) having to leave relatively early due to family commitments.

Cheers,

- Pete
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

It was a great afternoon again so thank you to Bugboy for the 'prod', Susie for the arrangements, Philzoid for the photos and everyone else for attending and having the crack. Sorry to miss a few familiar faces but hopefully next year you'll be able to make it. Finally a massive thank you to Pete for setting UKB up and keeping it going and growing :D
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Catriona

Post by Catriona »

"Oh, that is such a shame! I wish I had know before the event and I could have given you a lift to the pub. The back of my car is converted to a comfy dog area so there would have been ample provision for your pooch to get to the pub."

Susie, thank you for your reply. Yes it was a shame as I was staying very close to the restaurant. And this darling dog would have been so well behaved.

The photos are good. It all looks so cosy and friendly. I do hope I am able to join in the fun next time.

Warm wishes.

Iona

Return to “Field Trips and Events”