Summer meet 2016?

Discussion forum for field trips and any other events.
bugboy

Summer meet 2016?

Post by bugboy »

Soooo, I vaguely remember the subject being touched on at last year’s winter meet but nothing much was decided. I was wondering, instead of a pub lunch maybe an outing to visit one of our more locally restricted butterfly species might work, the Large Blue or Black Hairstreak for example? Obviously weather would play a large part on whether it goes ahead but we could pick a main day and a couple of backup days? Being quite a newbie on here I'm not sure if this idea has been tried before.

I know everyone will already have a list of targets for the year, I've certainly got a few, so I'll just leave this thread here and see if there's any interest or if anyone has any other ideas.

Buggy :)
Some addictions are good for the soul!
MrSp0ck

Re: Summer meet 2016?

Post by MrSp0ck »

Its a good idea, but a few of us dont have transport, so unless a lift is arranged, it may be hard to get to certain places, eg Finemere Wood for Black Hairstreak. Glanvilles at Hutchinsons Bank would be easy, for those in London by Public Transport, and some of us are on site, and we plan to have a gazeebo up for most of the week of our open day.
Last edited by MrSp0ck on Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Susie

Post by Susie »

Pick a butterfly, pick a site, see how the season is going (is it running late or early?) and pick some potential dates. It is probably worth arranging something later on in the spring as too early and you risk missing everything. Work out transport links and/or possible lifts for people travelling by public transport. Some people may travel a long way so it helps if there is something else of interest in the area if the day turns out to be a stinker despite your best efforts (like a good pub! Lol).

Good luck! :D
Susie

Post by Susie »

What butterfly species would people like to see?

Return to “Field Trips and Events”