Naturetrek - Italian Dolomites

Discussion forum for field trips and any other events.
selbypaul

Naturetrek - Italian Dolomites

Post by selbypaul »

Hi there
Just booked a Naturetrek butterfly watching holiday to the Italian Dolomites for next July. It'll be my first venture abroad for butterflies. Has anybody been on this holiday before?
Paul
David M

Re: Naturetrek - Italian Dolomites

Post by David M »

No, but I'm pretty confident that you'll have a great week. These tours allow you to visit known spots for rare species so you will almost certainly have several life 'ticks' by the end of it.
Susie

Post by Susie »

Never done it but certainly something I would like to. Have a lovely time.
selbypaul

Post by selbypaul »

Thanks David and Susie. I'll be sure to give a thorough write up of my experience on this forum when I've finished
David M

Post by David M »

selbypaul wrote:Thanks David and Susie. I'll be sure to give a thorough write up of my experience on this forum when I've finished
Shall look forward to that. This is a region I have considerable interest in.
selbypaul

Post by selbypaul »

How so David? Have you visited yourself in the past?
David M

Post by David M »

selbypaul wrote:How so David? Have you visited yourself in the past?
No, but it's on my 'radar'.

I'd put it in my top 5 European regions to visit in the near to mid-future.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

maybe a group of us should get together and go on a UKB holiday :D !
Some addictions are good for the soul!
selbypaul

Post by selbypaul »

bugboy wrote:maybe a group of us should get together and go on a UKB holiday :D !
To be honest I was wondering if I'd meet anyone from UKB on the trip
David M

Post by David M »

Members of UKB have been away on these kinds of trips before, although they have, to my knowledge, been independently organised trips.

That said, you shouldn't be put off from booking an organised trip. These holidays will take you directly to the prime butterflying hotspots of the local region that you simply wouldn't locate for yourself were you to be travelling under your own steam.
Susie

Post by Susie »

I guess if people on here are planning on going it's just a case of giving notice and letting the rest of us know :D As Selbypaul has done.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

I've been on it. Twice. If you look at the tour reprts,my last time was in 2010. In the group picture,that's me-the good looking one on the left! :lol:

Brilliant trip. You have chosen well. The scenery here is exceptional. And as David says,these trips help you find stuff you couldn't hope to find by yourself. Not without spending many hours in front of a computer screen,doing your research, at any rate.
Tony Moore

Post by Tony Moore »

But, being ever the cheapskate, you can do it for less than half the price :mrgreen: .

Tony M.
selbypaul

Post by selbypaul »

Been on it twice! Crikey I must have chosen well. I don't like to wish time away, but really looking forward to it now!

And indeed, they aren't cheap are they. But I've just been promoted at work, so call it a present to myself! ;-)
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

They are not cheap holidays,these. But i think they are worth it,i don't think i could do it on my own much cheaper. And everything is organised for you and included in the price,except drinks at the bar. You won't need much spending money!

You'll have a great time!
David M

Post by David M »

Regarding the "not cheap" assertions, I thought I'd post a few facts:

In mid-April I visited the Var in southern France independently. My hotel cost 55 Euros per night for bed and breakfast. I spent an average of 30 Euros per day on lunch and evening meal. My car hire cost 195 Euros for 6 days (plus tolls of over 20 Euros that I have ignored).

So, in total, my spending for six days was 705 Euros (I have deliberately omitted my flight costs as organised trips usually require you to book your own flight as it is NOT included in the cost).

If one converts that 6 day stay into a 7 day one, then the total costs are approximately 820 Euros.

My Greenwings trip last year cost 1,600 Euros for 7 days. Immediately, one can see a differential of 780 Euros.

However, lunch and evening meals are provided on organised trips, your transport is arranged for you (including to and from the airport) and you enjoy the services of an experienced guide who will dutifully take you to all the most productive butterfly spots in that area.

You now need to ask yourself if 780 Euros is a price worth paying for being transported from the moment you arrive to the moment you leave, as well as being taken on each day to optimum sites where the scarcest butterflies can be reliably seen.

My own view is that it IS worth it.

There's no way I could have observed almost 120 different species in a week in the French Alps if I'd have travelled independently. What's more, most of the missing species would have been the iconic ones that provide the impetus for going there in the first place.

Much as I enjoy 'doing my own thing', there's no substitute for an experienced local guide.

Ultimately, that's what you're paying for.
selbypaul

Post by selbypaul »

Agreed. For the price I'm paying of just under £1400, the flights are included. So on the basis of the reviews here and elsewhere online, it feels like its well worth it.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Yes,with Naturetrek flights are included,usurally from London. However,there is an option to meet at Venezia Marco Polo airport (Venice) if flying from London is not convenient,i believe.

You will have a great time,promise!
selbypaul

Post by selbypaul »

It's a long time since I posed asking questions about this trip. But tomorrow I fly out. Can't wait! Will be sure to write a report up on my return!
selbypaul

Post by selbypaul »

Hi everyone
It's now six days since I returned from my 8 days in the Italian Dolomites, on the Naturetrek holiday there.

It was a brilliant holiday, highly recommended for any UK Butterfly fans wanting a bit of a foreign adventure. The hotel and food was excellent, the guides Alan and Luca literally superb. But most importantly, a count of 76 butterfly species in literally stunning clear blue skies, flower filled meadows and amazing scenery.

I'm definitely booking in another Naturetrek holiday next year!
Paul

Return to “Field Trips and Events”