Andrew555

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Andrew555

Re: Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Ah thanks David, I was fairly sure they were.
It really is a beautiful area, I will defiantly return, would love to see some females and get some good underside shots.

Cheers

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

A great report Andrew on a species I've yet to encounter in the UK :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Cheers Wurzel, they were dare I say easy to see that day, along the higher path on the west side of the valley, maybe I just got lucky.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Andrew, I'm a bit late to welcome you, :D love your shots! Goldie :D

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Hi Goldie, thank you very much! :D

Gary.N

Post by Gary.N »

Hi Andrew,

Welcome. It is always nice to see a new diary. Just seen some of your photos don't be temped to change your camera or what you are doing. They are fantastic. :D

Gary

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Thanks for the welcome Gary, you are very kind! :D

trevor

Post by trevor »

Those High Browns earn you another mrgreen, a species I've never seen.
And you managed to find them in pristine condition. :mrgreen: .
Apparently there was once a colony here in East Sussex, hope for a re-introduction one day !.

Trevor.

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Thanks Trevor, wouldn't that be great :)

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Andrew555 wrote:Hi Neil, thanks very much for the welcome.

The 1000 is bigger and heavier than the 200, but not so much that it has ever been an issue for me.
The electronic viewfinder in the 1000 is so much better than the 200.
You lose some optical zoom range (400mm vs 600mm) but I don't really miss that extra reach,
it's worth it for me to get the bigger 1" sensor.
And I find I can get very passable shots in the 400-600 digital zoom range anyway.

Overall I am super happy with the fz1000 and have never looked back.

Cheers
Thanks for that Andrew, interesting comments.

Great Fritillary shots from the Heddon Valley, I have been there myself a number of times now :D

Cheers,

Neil.

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Thanks a lot Neil, it is great, as is all of Exmoor :D

Cheers

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

These shots were taken on 15th October at Lullingstone Country Park near Eynsford in Kent.
It's a good butterfly area local to me, although I wasn't expecting to see much as the weather wasn't good.
But I did manage to locate a single Comma, unmoving and with wings resolutely shut.
I took a few shots, and then as I was focusing in for another it opened it's wings, raised it's abdomen up
and produced three clear drops of liquid that fell to the ground.
I've never seen this, or thought about butterfly excretion before!
And by chance I caught it on camera, I feel quite happy about that :D

Cheers
1_P1320566.jpg
2_P1320538.jpg

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great detail in those shots Andrew :D Extruding fluid has been commented on in the past but for the life of me I can't remember what the conclusion was - excretion or excess water? Either way it's still great to capture different behaviour 'on film' :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Thanks Wurzel :D interesting, I need to do some reading up.

Cheers

Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Great behavioural shot of the Comma, Andrew!
Still FZ1000? I can't delve into your camera settings because the image is .PNG.
Chris

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Thanks a lot Chris, right time right place :)
Yes still the fz1000 (they are jpeg for me?)

Cheers

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

As others have already said, those are very beautiful Comma photos, Andrew. Your FZ1000 does a great job, with good separation of the subject from the background and low noise, resulting in very 'clean' images. I see that there is now an FZ2000 but what a price :shock:

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Thanks Mike, I'm happy with the shots considering how dull that day was.
It is a great camera, I don't think you can do better at the price point.
I looked at the 2000 but it has nothing over the 1000 to justify a purchase for my needs.

Cheers

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Andrew, I took a shot of a common Blue doing the same thing :lol: My shot not has good as yours and I was surprised when they told me what it was doing :D I thought it was laying an egg, then thought impossible it's a Male!!!! :D Goldie :D

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Hi Goldie! Nice :D it took me by surprise that's for sure! :o :)

Return to “Personal Diaries”